See You Soon

The next day, at noon Evan packed everything up and cleaned the kitchen out of any food that was left over.

Jessica got herself ready and was ready to head back home. She started to worry. Throughout the night, she would experience contractions but they were too far apart.

She would fall asleep then wake up to intense pain. They were an 45 minutes apart and Jessica could tell these were so different than Braxton Hicks contractions.

She wanted to be home already, in case she went into actual labor. Another sign that their baby girl would be here soon is that the baby had dropped.

Jessica could tell right away when she felt the baby lying real low and felt some pressure. She looked in the mirror as she brushed a hand over her belly. She had never seen her belly look the way it did.

Evan was busy making sure everything was put away and packed in the car to notice.

Once packed up and ready, they finally got on the road. Sarah's get together for them was at 2 pm. They had plenty of time to get home.

The drive was an hour and thirty minutes. Right away Jessica had trouble sitting comfortably. But she was able to not show how uncomfortable she really was.

Evan and Jessica were listening their mix tape and enjoying the ride. Well, Evan was.

Thirty minutes into the drive and Jessica gets hit with a contraction. Her grip on the steering wheel tightens. She breathes in and out and tried not to let Evan know what's going on.

Evan was singing along to You Make Loving Fun by Fleetwood Mac.

I never did believe in miracles
But I've a feeling it's time to try
I never did believe in the ways of magic
But I'm beginning to wonder why

Don't, don't break the spell
It would be different and you know it will
You, you make loving fun
And I don't have to tell you but you're the only one

Evan stopped singing once he noticed a change in Jessica. He reached over to turn down the radio and asked worriedly. "Jess, are you okay?"

Jessica nodded her head as the contraction passed. She was really concentrating on the road.

"I'm fine." Jessica said as she reached her hand over to Evan. She took hold of his hand while still looking ahead. "Evan...I'm going to tell you something. But you have to promise me that you won't freak out. Okay?"

Evan furrowed his brow but nodded. "Okay. I promise."

Jessica took a deep breath and said. "I'm having contractions. They are about 45 minutes apart. I've been having them since last night."

Evan's eyes went wide and it took everything in him to not freak out. He promised Jessica he wouldn't so he took deep breathes to calm down.

Jessica looked over for a second then right back on the road. "I'm going to be okay. It can still be hours before we need head to the hospital. So...when we get home, we will still go over to Sarah and Lily's for our get together. But I promise, if things speed up then we go straight to the hospital."

"O...okay." Evan was able to say. "Jessica, are sure you're okay to go to Sarah's?"
"Yeah. Remember what the Lamaze teacher said. That women can be in labor for days before they have the baby. So it should be fine."

Evan nodded and soon had calmed down. Jessica's soothing voice helped him do so and he sat back.

The rest of the drive was spent silently. The only thing putting Jessica's mind to ease was the music. She concentrated on the songs that came on and 45 minutes since the last contraction, Jessica experienced another one.