mini-reunion.

"Laila?"

I stopped in my tracks when I heard the voice call my name. The voice that had called me sounded all too familiar. "Laila."The voice called my name again. I turned around slowly to see that it was none other than my ex's mother who was calling me. She smiled at me once she recognized that in fact it was me.

I hadn't seen her since the last time I'd been over to her house. I remember that day because I specifically came over to wish Jahbari goodbye and tell him the news that I was pregnant. I had known for over a month that I was pregnant. I remember being scared and nervous when I first found out. I was extremely terrified about telling him because I didn't know where his head was.

We had never talked much about our future. We'd promise that we'd keep in touch when he went off to college. But, we never once talked about marriage or raising a family together. And plus I didn't know how to break the news to him. He was a grade higher than me and was about to be off to college and I didn't want to ruin his dreams.

But, I tried to tell him about the baby. And every time I tried to tell Bari he was either busy or hanging out with his friends. I remember the last day that I saw Jahbari. I had made up my mind that I was really going to tell him despite that it was the day that I knew that he was leaving to go off to college. But, as the time narrowed down and him saying goodbye to all his family and me, I became nervous and just couldn't do it anymore.

I remembered him asking me, "What's wrong?" as we pulled apart. I didn't know that I had been crying. He brushed the tears away as I fought the urge to say, I'm pregnant. "Nothing," I had said instead. I had blown my opportunity in saying something that I really should have told him. And when he got into that car the pain in my heart started to set in because I knew what I had done. He started the car and honked his horn as he drove away.

I bawled into his brothers' shoulder as we all watched him drive out into the distance. His brother rubbed my back saying that it was okay but I knew otherwise. It was not going to be okay. He was going off to college to go and live his dream while I was left here pregnant. I blown the opportunity and he didn't know about our lovechild.

But, for some reason I still held on to that little hope, the hope where we'd still keep in contact and maybe then I could finally tell him the news. But, as the weeks went by we had no contact. No Myspace, phone calls, emails, letters, nor texts were sent to each other's way. I still hadn't told him. And I grew to understand as each week passed by that I had to deal with this situation on my own. Had I opened my mouth then I wouldn't have done what I did alone. But, Ms. Kim hadn't stopped trying to contact me. I got everyone of her calls, but I just made the decision not to pick-up.

Basically, I had cut everyone who was in relation of Jahbari Samuels out of my life, with the exception of our child. That was all the precious memory that I needed. I didn't need any constant reminders that I was in the predicament that I was in alone nor that he was gone. So, that's why I had cut them out and practically raised my baby alone.

"Hi, Ms. Kim." I said greeting and waving at her.

Rahji stirred in my arms to look at Ms. Kim as she hiccupped, "Girl, come over here." Ms. Kim beckoned me over. "You know I don't do waves. You come over here and give me a proper greeting." She said. I laughed a little bit. I should've known better than to think that a wave would not due.

I walked over to her and gave her a hug. She hugged me tight almost crushing Tarahji. "Oh, I almost didn't recognize you."She said. We pulled away from each other. She was right. I didn't look the way I used to look four years ago. I had once weighed in almost a hundred and seventy pounds. But, after having Rahji I decided to slim down because I wanted a healthier life.