i can't make you love me .

Laila

Propping my legs up to my chests, tears ran down my cheeks. For the past couple of weeks following my sister's wedding, the thought of talking to my parents haunted me. The scene of when they kicked me out of the house rehash in my mind. Their harsh words haunted me at night.

I didn't know what to do. I had mixed emotions about talking to them. They went as far as to get my number and call me, but I didn't pick up recognizing the number. And Jay didn't hound me anymore after he tried to persuade me to hear their point of views. He was respecting my decision, and knew that I'd pull myself together to do it at my own pace.

It's like I want to talk to them, but I don't really want to. I want to sit down and talk so that everything could go back to normal. I want to have a good relationship with my parents again, feel love, and bond with my family more. This whole Tarahji thing messed up our family. We all fell out and lost contact of each other. More tears ran down my cheeks.

I shook my head, but there would only be one thing that would make the difference. I had a child in my life. And no matter how much I try to not remember that horrific day... it would never go away. I'm afraid if I open that can again, they'd be rehashing those harsh words to me. They'd keep bringing up my one mistake and rub everything in my face. Tell me that Chrissy was the perfect daughter that I could never be.

I want to forget that that day ever happened—no I wished that that day never happened. I wished that they had accepted me and my child with open arms. I wished that they'd just take back everything that they said, and take back their actions. I want to tell them exactly what I feel. Tell them everything that has been building up in my heart these past few years. Tell them what I really think of them.

And lastly, I just want them to love me. Love me and my child. That's all I ever wanted from them then. I never asked anything else of them then. I just simply told them what was the deal, and they just opened the door for me. I could've taken care of that child still in their household. I could've still gone to school and gotten a job to support. But, they didn't have to kick me and my child out.

With angry tears streaming down my cheeks I picked up my phone and dialed the familiar numbers. Afterwards I placed the phone up to my ears, "Hello?" I heard my mother's voice on the line.

"I'm ready," I told her. I had made up my mind. All that shit—emotions and true feelings that I've been keeping bottled up for all these years are going to be released today. I'm not going to keep them in for another year or so. It's all coming out today. If they want to talk, fine, I want to talk too. I gave her the address and directions to my place.

"Okay, I got it," she said. "I'll tell your father and we'll be there in about an hour or so," she told me. I bit my bottom lips, didn't say anything just hung up on her.

Release.

- - - - -

I sat staring at the both of my parents sitting on my couch. They had just arrived about ten minutes ago, and we had yet said a word towards the subject that really brought us together. I didn't even bother asking them if they wanted anything to drink, yes rude of me, but they didn't care shit about me when they through my ass out on the streets, now did they?

"Lai," my mother was the first to break the silence. She cleared her throat, "We're sincerely sorry for what we did to you," she told me and looked the other way not able to accept her apology.

"That's some sorry ass apology," I said. "I don't even believe that apology not one bit." I told them. "If you're going to apologize—"

"Excuse me?" My mother said. "Are you talking to me like that?" my mother asked me, but I wasn't fazed by her attitude. I'd long grown of being scared by her tone. "Just because you're a grown woman now, doesn't mean you can disrespect me. Now, show respect to both me and your father here." She told me.