Chapter 16

Amilia led the Slytherin students into the Great Hall, all of them dressed up for the feast. Some wearing jumpers their parents sent them, others wearing clothes they packed for special occasions. The first-year, who stayed, clung to her arm as she led them to the long table that had replaced the four. Snow fell from the enchanted ceiling, and pine wafted in the air. A large evergreen lit with candles, and sparkling tinsel sat behind the staff table. Amilia waves a hand for the students to sit. She surveyed the professors at the table; Minerva wore the hatpin Amilia gave her. Flitwick donned a cheery grin as some of the frog choir sang carols, and Severus wore his usual jacket, but a green shirt could be seen under the sleeves and at the neck. I guess that is as festive as he is going to get.

Dumbledore stood, gathering the attention of all those in attendance for the feast. "I wish you all a Happy Christmas. I am so delighted to have you all here to celebrate. Please feast and enjoy." He sat back down, and food appeared before everyone.

"Does Professor Snape ever look pleased?" the first year asked.

"I have seen it." Juniper said, "When Amilia walks by him. I hear that she is exceptional at potions."

Amilia chocked on her food. "He does?"

Juniper nodded, "His eyes soften a little. I read people very well. My mother taught me." she jerked her head towards the staff table, "He is doing it now. Be subtle as you all look."

Several of the students turned around and stole a glance at the Potions Master. He was lost in thought, looking at Amilia's profile. Admiring her soft jawline and the earrings, he had gifted her shinning the light. Amilia had felt his gaze on her face but did not dare chance returning his soft eyes for fear that the students would see. She took her hand off the table and placed it in her lap, twitching her fingers slightly.

"Bloody hell!" Severus hissed, his wine had tipped over. He took out his wand and waved away the mess from the table and his lap. He looked over the table in front of him and saw several pairs of eyes staring at him. Amilia looked concerned at him; her lips pressed together tightly. He watched her eyes dart to the students in front of her and him again. He sat down and turned to join in the conversation with the teachers next to him.

Once again, the Headmaster stood commanding silence without even a word. "Again, I thank you all for being here tonight, but now it is time to retire to our beds." Students applauded and rose from their seats and began to leave the Great Hall. "Miss Hubbard, please stay a moment."

Amilia sighed and turned around towards the staff table, "Is there something I can help you with, sir?"

"Ah, I just wanted to wish you a Happy Christmas and to remind you that magic used against teachers in a manner outside of a lesson is prohibited and can lead to expulsion." He said calmly.

"My apologies, sir. It was not my intent. The younger students were concerned about our Head of House." Amilia fidgeted.

"Concerned about what?" Severus asked coolly.

"They said you were getting soft. And concerned for your health." Amilia glanced at him.

"And why do you think they are saying that?" Minerva spoke quickly.

"It was mostly the younger students; I believe that it is due to not being used to seeing our Potions Master in a good mood." Some of the teachers chuckled. "But it is Christmas, so it would make sense that he is in a good mood. One cannot be angry on Christmas."

"No truer words have ever been spoken." Albus smiled; he waved off the teachers who shook their heads at the conversation leaving Severus, Minerva, Poppy, Albus, and Amilia in the Great Hall.