Chapter 20

Amilia was swimming in crystal clear waters, and bright tropical fish swam by her. Amilia smiled; she recognized this place. It was the island of Kaua'I in the Hawaiian archipelago. Her mother had tried finding magical plants in the forests, taking along the family for a vacation at the same time. Amilia rose from the water, stepping onto the sandy beach. She closed her eyes and breathed in the salty air, reveling in the wind whipping her hair around.

"Amilia?"

Amilia opened her eyes and looked around, spotting a woman sitting on a beach towel with a book in her hand. "Mum." She ran over to her throwing her arms around the woman's neck.

"What are you doing here?" the woman pulled her daughter's arms off of her.

"What do you mean? We are on vacation. Right?" Amilia tilted her head, her eyes narrowed.

"No, baby. For the longest time, it has just been the three of us." The woman ran her hands over Amilia's hair. "You are so beautiful. Just like I had imagined."

"Mum, what is this?"

"Honey, I'm dead."

Amilia sat back, surprised. "What?"

"What was the last thing you remembered?"

"I...I was in the air. And then I was on the ground. I remember seeing..." Amilia squeezed her eyes shut. "Smoke. And then everything went dark."

"I don't think you are dead, sweetheart." She smiled at Amilia, happily and painfully. "I am elated to see you, but you don't belong here."

"But you are here." Amilia grasped her mother's hands.

"Yes, but...darling, you do not belong here. I am so happy to see how you have grown, but you need to go back."

"Can I just sit here first? I have missed you so much."

"I...have missed you too and only for a few minutes; the longer you are here, the more difficult it will be to go back." The woman laced her fingers through Amilia's. "Tell me, have you gotten better since the..." She looked down, fearful.

"Yes, a little. Things are still difficult, but mum, I have had such wonderful help from the teachers who know. Especially after you and dad passed."

"Have you...Amilia! What are these on your shoulder?" Her mother's fingers ran over the marks.

Amilia blushed, "Well... puffskin is out of the bag. I have met someone."

Her mother's eyebrows disappeared into her bangs. "Who?"

"Severus Snape."

She gasped, "Amilia...he is a Death Eater."

"He was a spy for Dumbledore. Mum, he is so sweet to me. He got me this gorgeous cloak for my birthday, and a candlelit dinner, and he...he is damaged as well."

"Amilia Anne Hubbard, I have told you before you cannot fix anyone. It only brings heartache." Her mother scowled.

"I do not want to fix him. I do not want him to fix me. It is just...amazing to have someone who understands that wounds take time to heal and that even if you want to press...you have to wait." Amilia sighed, "Though he is impatient."

"I don't want you falling head over heels for him."

"Mother, there was a spark, this fire ignited in me, and within him. I could be freezing cold, but the moment he touches me...I feel this warmth rush through my veins."

Her mother sighed, "I see. Well, then you must certainly go back.go now."

"I want to see dad and Jordan." Amilia protested.