Chapter 31

Severus reread the list that Amilia had sent him during post:

1. I do not like being degraded, particularly when you grabbed my chin like that in class. If it is more of a 'loving' matter, that is different.

2. Dishonesty

Honesty, my dear, it is rather hard to pinpoint rather specific items; I may amend this list as the time comes. However, I do hope that none do.

Yours, AH

He drummed his fingers on his desk as students took their test. Might amend it later? I sure as bloody hell hope not.

Amilia waited outside Dumbledore's office; she was shaking from being nervous. She fidgeted with her stone, showing the flowers that she remembered the most from her mother's garden. She knew she was prepared, but she could not help feeling anxious. The gargoyle moved, and she could hear his bell jingling, "Miss Hubbard, are you ready?"

"As ready as I shall ever be."

"Come." He offered his arm to her and led her up the stairs, "Severus has brought your test already." Amilia chewed her lip as they ascended the staircase. There was a table with potion ingredients and a cauldron, stones, and then a parchment paper at the top. "No need to be nervous, dear. You will do just fine."

Amilia stepped up to the large table and eyed each of the items. Severus walked up to the other side in front of her, "You have your directions and ingredients here. This will be the last portion. You can either begin identifying the stones or taking the written portion." He looked down his nose at her, trying his hardest not to give her a reassuring smile. Amilia grimaced as she walked over to the stones to begin her test.

A few hours later, Amilia stood in front of Dumbledore's desk as Severus checked over her potion. She was confident in it, but the way he held the vial up in the light was making her feel like she was going to hurl. "Miss Hubbard, well done." Severus placed the vial next to the cauldron. "Your written exam has also been graded while you were brewing."

"And?"

"You passed." Dumbledore beamed.

"Did I get a good score? How much did I miss? What do you mean exactly I passed?" Amilia blurted. Her anxiety through the roof and her stomach-churning.

Dumbledore looked at her, amused and surprised. Severus was somewhat confused; he knew that she valued learning the outcomes, but he did not realize she would make herself sick over it. "You missed two questions. Simply by mixing them up, had you put those answers you chose on the other, you would have had full points." He said calmly.

Amilia breathed a sigh of relief but was still filled with dread. "Thank you, professors."

"Miss Hubbard, I have informed your instructors that you will have next week off for your own pleasure. You've been doing so much for the school; you need time for yourself before the rest of your N.E.W.T's." Dumbledore stood and beamed at her.

"A week...to myself?"

The old wizard nodded, "Though I do wish to see you on Sunday, to discuss your quarters and classroom next year."

"All right, thank you, sir." Amilia smiled to herself, "What am I going to do with myself for a week?"

"If you would like, I can allow you to go off-grounds into the city for a day."

Her head jerked up to look at the Headmaster, "Are you serious?"

"I see no reason why not. You have earned it. You have received the highest score in Alchemy in almost a century." Dumbledore tapped his chin, "I just request that you bring me back another knitting pattern. I so loved the ones you brought back last time you were off-campus."