Lesson Six

Once You Figure Out What Respect Tastes Like, It Tastes Better Than Attention.

I could still feel his cold hands around my throat, my body gasping for air that I had thought for a spilt second would never come again. Looking at myself in the rear view mirror in my car I could see the red marks that had now formed around my neck. For a spilt moment I had let someone have control over me, control that should only belong to me. I wasn't even annoyed that I had gotten hurt, I was pissed at myself for having that moment of weakness. Not again. Not again was I going to let someone have the upper hand like that.

Sighing I put the mirror back into the correct position before climbing out of my car. Looking up I seen the large very modern looking mansion. I also couldn't believe the fact that Riker Kennedy's house might be more impressive than my own. I need to remind myself to tell my dad that fact. He will knock down our house and build one even better. I might finally get that indoor water slide I always wanted.

"Miss Anderson." Greeted one of Riker's men. He looked to be in his thirties and I had to admit he looked good for his age. His hair was almost pitch black and there wasn't a sign of greying at all. His eyes were bright blue, maybe even brighter than my own. There was a dark shadow under his eyes but they didn't make him look tired, they just added to his mysterious look. This was a man who looked like he had seen more than his fair share of the world that I had been thrown into once more.

"Just call me Lyra." I zipped up my jacket all the way so he couldn't see the red mark that was getting worse and worse. He caught my movement though I could see him looking at me carefully. I hadn't seen this man before and I had spent a lot of time with Riker's men in the last few months. The way he carried himself told me that he was one of Riker's most trusted men. He was probably away with the family when they left.

"So you're the little girl that Riker had left in charge."

He was sizing me up as he looked me over. From head to toe I could see the judgement in his eyes, judgement I had been getting my whole life. Judgement for being a woman. What people needed to learn though was that a woman could be fair more powerful in the position that I was in if they knew how to use it. Men thought with there fists and power, woman thought with their heads and courage.

"You might want to take that judgement somewhere else. I wouldn't come to a conclusion about me before you actually know who I am. Cause what ever you come up with in that head of yours, is probably so far from the reality of what I am." I then took a step closer to him and lowered my voice. He towered over me but I didn't care, height was just an illusion to make men look more powerful. "Cause I'm far worse than what ever nightmare you can think off."

"Careful Matt, I wouldn't piss this girl off."

Archer walked over to me as he cut off mine and the man called Matt's exchange. Me and Archer had become good friends in the last few months. He had been helping me keep track of everything that has been happening around this place. At the start it was hard to gain their trust after all I was a outsider that used to go out with one of their rivals. Over time though they started to trust me more and more every day. Soon enough they were coming to me with their problems before Ace. I actually hadn't seen Ace in a few weeks. He didn't seem bothered about letting the control go to someone else, in fact he looked more than happy to get the fuck away from here.

Archer rested his hand on my back and started to push me past Matt and into the house. Matt never let his eyes leave mine and I kept my eyes focused on him with the challenge. When he was out of sight I let my eyes snap to Archer who was now leading the way through the large house. I had a new annoyance on my mind and it had nothing to do with Matt or his attitude.