Chapter 24

** Jamie's POV **

I walked down the sidewalk, praying that when I got home Danny would be making dinner. Or at least have an idea of what was for dinner. It had been yet another long day, and I forgot to eat lunch at work.

When I walked in the door, I was consumed by the smell of something amazing coming from the kitchen. My body instantly relaxed knowing that dinner was being cooked and we didn't need to go out. Before I could make my way into the kitchen, the sound of Clay's nails clicking across the floor stole my attention. Within seconds, I was squatted down and had my arms full with the brown fluff ball.

"Hi buddy," I said as I pressed a kiss on his fuzzy head. "How are you? Were you good when Daddy got home?" Clay yapped at me and tried licking my face. I pulled away and began to giggle. "Clay! No!"

He hopped down and sat there looking at me with his big gold eyes. "What? Do you want a treat? Huh? Well let me find Daddy first and then maybe we can go for a little walk, okay?" I stood straight up and moved into the kitchen, where Danny was standing at the stove.

"Hi babe," I mumbled as I moved in. Clay was following close behind me. I wrapped my arms around Danny's waist and looked around him to see what he was cooking. "That smells amazing. What are you making?" It looked like there were chunks of steak being cooked.

"Beef stew," Danny replied. He looked to me and smiled as he dipped his head and pressed a soft kiss to my lips. "How was your day, babe?" His voice was soft and comforting.

Clay let out a loud bark. I pulled from Danny and looked down at the fluff ball. "Can't Mommy and Daddy have a few seconds?" I asked with a smile on my face. I looked back up to Danny and smiled. "I'm good. It's been a long day. How was practice?"

"Practice was good," Danny replied as he moved over with the pan and began dropping the meat into a slow cooker. "I've only been home for about an hour and a half. Jules and I went to lunch. He's been wanting shrimp really bad and since Penny always gets nauseous, he made me go with him."

I giggled and rolled my eyes. "Oh Jules. Using my boyfriend to his own benefit," I said as I looked to the ground and rolled my eyes. "Is it okay if I take Clay for a little walk? He looks like he is ready to get some energy out."

"Yeah, that's fine," Danny replied, deeply concentrated on the food that he was making. He usually got that way when he started something he wanted to finish and it was clear that he wanted to finish the cooking.

"Okay, we will be back soon, then," I told him as I turned to look at Clay. "We are going for a walk, buddy!" I began to walk out of the kitchen and to the door, where I grabbed Clay's leash and hooked it to his collar.

About twenty minutes later, Clay and I made our way back into the house. I unclipped his leash. "Babe, we are back!" I let Clay roam free and moved to the bedroom, where I changed into sweats and an oversized t shirt.

When I made my way out, my stomach began to rumble. Dinner smelled absolutely amazing, and I could not wait to dive in. I made a beeline straight for the kitchen. The minute I got there, I stopped dead in my tracks and watched as Danny zoomed around the kitchen.

He had made some pasta, but he was beginning to package it and had the slow cooker off of the heating pan. "Why're you packing up the food already? Did you eat it without me?"

Danny stopped what he was doing and looked at me with wide brown eyes, completely shocked. "Oh... You thought this was for dinner?" Danny asked, unsure if that was the answer that I wanted.

I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at him, very, very confused. "Well then when is it for? Dinner tomorrow? But you've got your game," I replied. I squinted at him.

"It's uh... I made it for Penny," Danny said, slow. "Jules... He said that she was craving beef stew and he didn't have a good recipe... And I had one. So... Well, I decided to make some for her and the baby."

My jaw dropped. It literally dropped. I stood there wide eyed. "You... You made this for Penny? Then whats for dinner for us? Are we grabbing something?"

Danny stood there, stuck in his spot, completely dumbfounded. "I-I thought... It's... Saturday... You normally cook on Saturdays," Danny spit out. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

I let out a soft sigh as I shook my head. "I told you this morning while you got ready that because I was working that you had to make dinner or let me know if you weren't making dinner," I replied as I shook my head.

"Oh..." Danny whispered. "Well, I promised Penny I would be over by seven."

Sucked in a breath and shook my head. "Fine," I mumbled. "Then go bring her her food. I'll just have ramen or something."  I moved to the cupboard and grabbed my personal stash of Ramen Noodles.

"Jamie," Danny said quietly from behind me. "Can..." He let out a sigh and shuffled around a bit. "I'll be back later."

I could hear him grab a plastic bag, finish packing the food, and he was out the door.

As soon as the door slammed shut I let out a sigh and shook my head. "What the fuck?" I mumbled as I moved to put some water in my bowl.

Once my food was made, I moved to sit down at the island so I could eat. As I sat there, I looked around at the kitchen, and man... It was a mess. Danny had spatchulas, ladles,  and pots everywhere.

When I finished eating, I made sure to do my dishes as well as Danny's. He knew I couldn't stand a dirty kitchen. First I did the dishes, then moved on to wiping down the counters. As I began to make my way to the spot where we normally put out mail, I noticed a few books sitting there.

Danny wasn't one to sit down and read a book, especially during the season. I moved over and picked one up, reading the name of it. "How To Be The Best Uncle In The World," I read aloud and rolled my eyes. Next, I moved to the second book which was named 'How To Help Your Pregnant Wife'.

"Jesus christ, Danny," I mumbled. I put the book down and threw away the paper towel that I had before I shuffled into the living room where Clay was chilling at my normal spot on the couch. 

When I approached the couch, he got up, let me sit down, then moved so his head was resting on my lap. "How are you buddy?" I asked. He whined at me. I giggled. "Can you believe Daddy did that? He wouldn't even make me dinner."

Clay continued to look up at me with his golden eyes. Before I could say anything else, the front door opened and Danny made his way in. "How was Penny?" I asked flatly.

"Just the same as when you saw her at work," Danny muttered as he put his keys down on the coffee table and sat down on the other end of the couch. Clay turned his head to look over at Danny, but didn't flinch.

I rolled my eyes. "Do you understand where my frustration comes from? I swear you didn't listen to me," I told him, running my hand though Clay's fur.

Danny let out a sigh and turned to look at me with careful brown eyes. "I'm sorry, Jame... I didn't realize it. I thought you said you'd grab something for dinner," Danny mumbled. "I promise... I'll make dinner for you tomorrow night."

I rolled my eyes. "Please don't make promises you can't keep," I told him. "You have your game tomorrow. You'll probably be coming home ready to sleep."

"Fine. Then monday. A full five course meal. Just for you," he replied. "And you can hold me to it!"

I sighed. How could I say no to those big brown eyes.

***

You could probably tell that this was unedited. I'm sorry. I've been beyond busy with work (and completely forgot to post last week when I worked a double) and am currently in Green Bay for the Packers game.

Hope y'all enjoyed!