Chapter 5 - The Treehouse

Me and Thomas quickly begin a conversation that lasts most of the night. He seemed so different to most of the lost boys here, not really malicious or violent.

But I'm sure he's not the only me like that here, there must be more boys like him. He was kind to me, something I had not experienced since arriving on this island.

But I can't help but wonder was this put in place by Pan himself. It just seemed so unreal but it couldn't be because why would Pan want someone to be nice to me.

I don't know I guess I was just wondering why he was doing this. I stopped my thoughts and just asked.

"Why are you doing this?", I question.

"What do you mean?", he asks, chuckling in confusion.

"Being so nice, you don't even know me. Especially when you let me go in the woods earlier. You're so different from the others boys here, why is that?", I question.

"I feel bad I guess. It's not fair to be taken and put on this island without wanting it. Even worse when a bunch of strange boys are chasing you around, I didn't want to be a part of that. When I saw you're face, you looked so scared I just, I didn't have it in me to bring you in", he explains.

"I don't understand, aren't you a lost boy? Like loyal to Pan or whatever", I ask.

"I am", he confirms.

"Then why are you so different? The other boys looked so glad to be doing that, they looked excited to be able to hurt me. It's psychopathic.", I state.

"We're not all the same. I don't like doing those kinds of games", he explains.

"What makes them like that?", I ask.

"I think they've always been that way. Pan likes lost boys fierce, he makes sure that the shadow goes out to find boys like that for Neverland", he reveals

"Shadow?", I ask, interrupting his explanation.

"The shadow is Pans. It that can fly and cross realms. It takes boys to the Neverland for him. That is if he doesn't go out and find them himself, like he did today", he explains.

"You know I would find all this strange normally but after the things I've seen and experienced today, I'm not going to question is", I chuckle.

Caught in the moment, we catch each other's eyes for a brief second and smile at one another. Before I remember the harsh reality and it disappears.

"I know this place seems horrid at the moment, but you will warm up to it", he says, trying to lighten the mood.

"That's the problem though, I don't want to get use to it. I want to leave, especially if there are psycho boys who want to kill me", I explain.

"I promise they're not all like that. There are others like us, who are actually sane. Even Pan isn't that bad, you've got to give him a chance", he carries on.

"Give him a chance?", I say in disbelief.

"I bet I sound crazy, but trust me", he smiles.

"It's going to take a lot more for me to trust you now that you've said that", I state.

"Hey Tom", someone shouts.

I look up to see a dark skinned boy approaching us with a smile on his face. He holds a glass jar full of orangey liquid and hands it over to Thomas.

"Here you go", he says.

"Thanks man", Thomas replies.

The boy smiles again and as he is about to walk away he stops as the other boys shouts at him. I try to look around him to see what they're saying. The only thing I see is them pass over another glass jar to the boy.