chapter forty-four

riley~

"riley? ethan?"

the voice startles me and i jump awake, being pulled down by ethan's arm draped protectively over me.

it's just my parents.

"please don't do that," i ask, breathing heavy.

"we're sorry," my dad apologizes, face tired and worried, "we didn't realize how that could... seem?"

ethan stirs next to me and rubs his eyes.

"what's going on?" he asks in a deep morning voice

"my parents are here."

he sits up straight and squints his eyes, trying to get used to the bright led lights.

"hi," is all he says.

"hello." they chorus back.

"what time is it?" i ask, stretching my arms up.

"around 10:30. you guys must've been tired." my dad responds, checking his watch.

"i didn't sleep the other night, so that's why."

"i just sleep in late all the time." ethan admits

that makes me giggle and i realize i haven't laughed in awhile.

ethan seems to notice, as he looks proud of himself for getting me to let out an emotion other than sadness.

"do you guys want food or anything? we can stop downtown-"

"no," i say quickly, "i'm not hungry."

"riley," ethan says in a warning voice. he cares too much.

i gulp, knowing he's going to make me eat anyway.

"o-okay." i stutter

"we'll go pick up some pizza or something. you two just relax, okay?"

my parents leave and i turn to face ethan.

"tomorrow is monday."

"correct," he says softly, reaching out to play with the hair i tuck behind my ear.

"i'm not going to classes."

"ry," he sighs, letting the hair drop from his grasp, "i know this is hard. i want you to be able to heal fully before pushing you back into the schedule, but you're going to have to go back sooner or later."

"and i choose later."

"come on," he urges, "you don't have to go tomorrow, but how about we go to our class on tuesday?"

"fine," i cave. i toy with his sweatshirt strings and run my hand down to his stomach.

it's a white playboy hoodie, and i automatically want it.

"i need to stop wearing sweatshirts around you," he sighs, reading my mind. i grin and he pulls it over his head and gently hands it to me.

"thank you," i say, running my hands over the logo on it.

it of course fits big on me and it smells like him. just the way i like it.

i pull the hood up and ball up the end of the sleeves in my fist tightly.

"i sometimes wish you didn't look better than me in them,"

"someone looking better than ethan dolan? please. they could never." i tease

he smiles and i almost forget about everything i feel inside me.

almost.

i kind of just want ethan to take away all the pain and dirtiness.