chapter forty-one

MAY CONTAIN SLIGHTLY TRIGGERING EVENTS
nothing too bad so i think you're good?

riley~

"oh my god," ethan's eyes widen and he falls to the floor next to me, "ohmygodohmygod are you okay?"

"no," i sob, my voice coming out in chokes

"what'd he do to you?" he asks angrily, staring down at my shirt on the floor.

"nothing yet," i reply, shaking uncontrollably.

"lily call someone," he whips his head to his friend who's already dialing a number.

"stay here," he whispers softly into my ear.

i nod and wipe away the tears streaming down my face.

he runs out the door and returns a few moments later with two big guys.

"hold him," he orders to them and kicks quinn, who's groaning on the floor.

"mcallister?" they question, looking at each other.

"just do it!"

they get down and pin his arms so he can't move.

ethan then sits down next to me and slips my shirt over my head. he's shaking too.

"he touched me," i whisper with wide eyes.

"that sick f*cking bastard," he mutters angrily, pulling me close to him.

the familiar scent of ethan makes me want to never leave his arms.

"does someone wanna tell me what's going on?" one of the random guys ask

"you're now an assault victim witness," lily says, pocketing her cell phone, "stay here and don't move."

my mind is moving a million miles an hour, filling my brain with thoughts i don't want to think.

what if ethan didn't come?

what if i didn't yell his name when i did?

what if i just listened to him and stayed by his side?

what if i didn't say hi to quinn that one day on the steps?

i feel so dirty.

being touched by filth.

"shh," ethan whispers, rubbing the back of my hair, "i'm here. i'm here."

i sob into his shoulder and snot all over his sweatshirt, not really caring. i know he won't either.

"i love you i love you i love you i love you..." ethan repeats softly, over and over in my ear.

he's trembling, but won't show it to me.

loud footsteps appear, making me jump. ethan tightens his grip around me.

i don't look up from ethan's shoulder. i can hear everything.

big, loud voices yelling at everyone in the room to stay put unless told otherwise.

the sound of quinn arguing and yelling.

the sound of someone asking me if i'm okay.

no i'm not okay.

"no," ethan answers for me, "she's not."

his voice is shaky and i know it's only moments before he starts crying too.

i slowly lift up my head, not caring at how much of a mess i look.