Chapter 6 : Vaccine

Monday morning, another week was beginning. Max was still disturbed by her conversation with Jane the day before, it was so unexpected and weird. But she still didn't want to be friend with her. The party met in front of their school early, hoping there would be nobody but the prisoners were all already here.

- Why are they here? asked Dustin.

- My mom is supposed to vaccinate them, explained Will. They want to do this before class.

- Ok, I don't wanna talk about them now, intervened quickly Max. What's your sports group?

- C9, answered Lucas.

- Me too! told happily Mike.

- I'm in A5, said Will.

- Well, I think we are together, replied Dustin. And you girls?

- B6, answered the two redheads.

- Nice, we all have someone!

The group all nodded with a smile, all relieved to have a support with them. They entered the High School, comparing their sports. Arriving in the third hall, they a line of teens in front of the infirmary, the principal trying to sort them.

- That's a mess, stated Mike.

- Totally! added a woman voice behind.

The group had a startle and turned. It was Joyce.

- Hey mom, you're ready to confront them? asked Will.

- Confront? It's a violent word, chuckled the mother. I'm sure they are fine. I told him I didn't want to sort them, I already know all their files, they look interesting.

- You're not scared!?

- No, I read their files, they have some issues but I don't think they will try anything.

- Whoa, they scare me...

- Don't be, and after I'll tell you which one are friendly.

- I don't wanna be friend with that! told Will.

- Will! Don't talk like that! got worked up the mother. They are human!

- Sorry...

- It's fine, they look scary but I'm sure they are nice. I have to go.

The woman let the teens in the hall to join the other teens who were still in a crowd making a hubbub.

- Ok, calm down! intervened Joyce. You don't want to be sorted and it's fine, I understand. You don't know me, you don't know what's going to happen so let me explain. I'm Joyce and I'm the nurse. I'm here today to vaccinate you, to take some blood and urine, nothing wrong, we just want to know if you have some other diseases, it's just in case, it's not for the police, it's for you and the school. It's an examination, but if you don't want me to do something, you just need to tell me, I'll stop, we will talk, or not, it will be fine. I'm not here to hurt you. And for the next days, if you need anything medical or just someone to talk to, I'm here too, I would be happy to help you. If you prefer to go with someone inside the infirmary you can come with one of your friend but not more, it's small and I'm not sure it will be pleasant to have a big public for this. Do you have some questions?

The ex-prisoners stayed quiet, their arms crossed.

- Good, so, who is first?

The teens had a real teen reaction. They all looked away like if they would become invisible.

- What about you?

- Ok...answered Jane.

- You want me to come? asked Melissa.