Chapter 35 : A light

The return at school was complicated. There were tensions between the ex-prisoners and the other teens. When Max entered the school, Alban and his friends were blocking Melissa against the lockers and punching her. The redhead didn't hesitate and pushed them away.

- Leave her alone assholes! ordered Max.

- She is one of them! told angrily Alban with an awful wound at his nose and a black-eyed.

- She has nothing to do with the Halloween night!

- They're all the same! I want to get rid of this sickness!

- The only persons sick here are all of you! And I'm curious to see how you're gonna do with Mona!?

The redhead showed the big girl with her chin. They had no chance against her, Jane almost died against her so them, it was already a losing war!

- What!? You don't go to her!? You're scared!? provoked Max.

- Shut up Freckles! replied Alban between his teeth.

- Aw, I'm so scared, mocked the redhead.

- It's not over, threatened the blonde head.

He made a movement with his head and walked away, followed by his lapdogs.

- Thank you, said Melissa.

- Yeah, um, no problem, answered Max.

- I thought you would be mad at Jane!

- Mad!? I'm furious at her! A gun!? Really!? Where did she see it was a good thing!?

- Sometimes you have no other choice!

- I can understand but now, everyone thinks Alban and the others are right! And Mike and Will will be worse! It's gonna be hell!

Melissa pouted, holding her cheek.

- Come on, let's go see Joyce.

Max grabbed Melissa's arm and began to walk in direction of the infirmary, under the murmurs of the others. Their looks on them was so oppressing that Max thought it could kill them!

- You knew she was living there? asked the redhead.

- Nope, I discovered it with all of you! answered the purple-haired girl.

- And she hide a gun in her garage!

- She was scared.

- What!?

- A group of teens threw bottles to her house, her dog, wanted to burn her cat, and didn't want to stop when she asked them to, she was terrified, believe me, I lived with her three years, I never saw her like that.

- Damn...poor Jane...she lives alone?

- No, well, I'm not sure she stay at the house, but it's her aunt who bought it.

- The Witch is her aunt!?

- Yep.

- Shit, what a bunch of cunt we are! got worked up Max.

- Nah, you, you tried to help her, stated Melissa.

- She still shot at us.

- Yeah, she is not very good at communication.

Max chuckled, which surprised her! Certainly the nerves. The two girls finally arrived at the infirmary and entered it. Joyce was talking with Will.

- Good morning girls, greeted the woman.

- Hi, do you have some ice? For her cheek? answered Max.

- Of course, come in.

Max let Melissa going inside alone with Joyce, meaning that the redhead had to wait with Will in the same room. None of them were looking at each other, they couldn't stand each other anymore.