Chapter 25 : The unexpected guest

She quickly opened her door and couldn't say a word. She wasn't expecting to see her right now, especially like that!

- Um...I need to crash somewhere, told Jane with her natural sharp tone.

The ex-prisoner didn't wait an answer and invited herself to enter. She had two black eyes, a bandage on her nose, a swollen lip and a splint at her left arm. She watched her limping to her couch and laying down on it with difficulties. Max came back to herself. She slammed her door and went to Jane.

- You really think you're going to sleep here after what you said!? snapped the redhead.

- Um...It's you who told me I could, frowned Jane.

- Yeah, before you acted like a jerk!

- Ok, shrugged Jane. Kick me out.

- What!?

- Kick me out, if you don't want me here. I know you won't.

- Oh yeah!? Why!?

- Because, you're not a jerk like me.

Max took a deep breath that she exhaled loudly with her mouth. Jane was winning, no matter her choice! If she kicked her out, it would mean she was a jerk like her and if she let her stay here, it would mean Jane was right. So, she decided to choose the right choice.

- Fine, you can stay! I hate you for this!

- Yeah...everybody do.

- Yeah, no wonder why!

Jane gave a dark look, but Max wasn't fading, she answered with eyes meaning "you really want to play this!?". The ex-prisoner didn't maintain and looked at the ceiling.

- I'll take care your wounds, said the redhead.

- I'm fine, mumbled Jane.

- It wasn't a question.

Max took the first-aid kit she had in her bathroom and came back next to Jane. She used a cold spray on Jane's lips before applied a cream on it.

- What happened? asked the redhead who calmed down.

- Nothing, just, some gangs of drugs and gunshots and fights.

- You've been shot!?

- I had a bulletproof vest.

- And a helmet I hope!

- Nah, they didn't want, shrugged Jane.

- What!? That's insane! You could have been killed! stated Max.

- Aw, you were worried for me? mocked the ex-prisoner.

- Of course! I mean, like everyone else, it was so brutal when they arrested you...I hope you renewed your paper!

- Yeah, yeah, I saw Jim.

- How is your leg? Is it broken?

- No, just a bit twisted but the doctor say it would be fine next week.

- You need a crutch or it'll never be fine!

- I don't have a crutch.

- I have, I'll give it to you.

- Why? Just before you wanted me to go away! told Jane.

- I know, but I'm mad for what you said at the swimming pool, explained Max.

- Oh...why you care? We're not friends!

- Yeah, I got that! replied the redhead with an upset tone.