Chapter 10 : The Magic Slap

It was finally the end of the week. The party met in line in the cafeteria for lunch. Bev and Max told them what happened the day before in sport. Mike and Will were not surprised but Dustin and Lucas were a bit sad to learn that, they were liking the girl and hoped she could be their friend.

The cafeteria was filled and the friends didn't know where they were going to eat. The only table with free seats was the one with Jane and Melissa. They all sighed and sat next to them, Dustin next to Jane and Lucas next to Melissa, trying to keep Mike and Max as far as possible of them. Even if the redhead was at the opposite of the two girls, she noticed some bruises on Jane's knuckles and was going to ask her what happened, but when she opened her mouth, Melissa snapped her fingers to her and slowly shacked her head to say no before showing her cheek, her nose and then Jane. Max frowned and looked at her friends who just shrugged with a pout, not understanding neither.

She looked closely at Jane and noticed her jaw clenched, but like very clenched, and she was breathing heavily with her nose.

- What's wrong? mouthed Dustin with a frown.

Melissa pouted and shacked her head to tell she didn't know. Max shacked her head in disbelief and rolled her eyes. Just because Jane was in bad mood no one was allowed to talk or even just live!? That was bullshit, Jane wasn't the boss of this place! She didn't want to provoke her, she didn't know what she was capable of, she really seemed angry.

But another problem was approaching them. Alban and his friends were coming to them with big smiles on their faces.

- Yo losers, mocked the blonde teen.

- What do you want!? snapped Max.

- Calm down Freckles, I'm just wondering how you are! answered Alban with irony. I heard you found a job at the coffee shop? I can't wait for you to serve us, like a fucking slave.

Max became red of embarrassment while Alban and his friends were laughing loud to make her feel worse. She just pushed him to tell him to go away but the boy laughed more, like if she was joking with him. The blonde teen was going to leave but he stopped, looking at Jane who was killing him with her eyes.

- What!? asked Alban, trying to be dominant.

- He is provoking me, right? told Jane without breaking the stare.

- Right, answered Melissa, leaning back on her chair and crossing her arms.

Jane stood.

- You can't do anything to me! You're just a weak girl who plays the tough girl but you're just a big mouth who—

The young boy was cut by a loud and brutal slap which sounded in the entire school. Alban was on the floor, his body amorphous, totally knocked out. The entire cafeteria was silent, under shock of what happened, wondering what she was going to do. Jane looked up at Alban's friends, who didn't need more to run away. The ex-prisoner didn't say anything. She gave a last look at Alban before spitting on his face and sitting again like if nothing happened.

- The Magic Slap! smiled widely Melissa. I missed it!

Jane didn't answer. Max was surprised, she expected her to brag for what she did, it was insane! But in the good way, she just slapped him and he was half-dead on the floor now! She didn't know it was possible! She needed to calm down, if she began to admire Jane, it was the end of everything. But it was still very cool. 

Jane felt all the looks on her and quickly looked at the table. When she met Bev's eyes, she pursed her lips. The redhead shyly smiled to her. She was sure it was her way to apologize to her for the day before. Jane had a small nod before looking down at her tray again.