Chapter 3 : Health class

Maybe it was just a dream. Maybe, the school hadn't accepted to let criminals having class with them. It couldn't be possible, it was too dangerous, they were all in different worlds. That was how Max convinced her this morning. She woke up, like usual, in her apartment. As her family was living too far from her school, she decided to take an apartment closer to it. She wasn't complaining, Being far from Neil and Billy was a good thing! She was working as a waitress in a coffee shop the week-end to help them to pay the room. It wasn't big, but it was enough for her.

When she arrived at school, the blue bus brought her back to reality. They were still there, still loud and scary. She was sure they were all going to give up in a few weeks or go back in jail as fast as they had arrived. That was what she hoped.

When she entered the school, she thought she was in hell. There had more cops and ex-prisoners everywhere! She wasn't even sure it was a school anymore. And it wasn't getting better, she just saw that the girl who ate next to her the day before had her locker at four lockers away from hers.

- What's up Grumpy? greeted Jane, without looking at her.

- Don't talk to me, we are not friends, said sharply Max.

- Ok...I was just try to be polite...

- I don't care, you are a criminal, you can try to be polite if you want, but it won't change who you are. There is no place for people like you here.

The redhead slammed her locker and walked away. Just her face was getting her on her nerves. She joined her friends who seemed as desperate as her.

- That's totally bullshit! stated Mike angrily. They are everywhere! Like parasites!

- They just need a chance! intervened Beverly.

- What!? You're on their side!? One day with them and they corrupted you!?

- I'm not corrupted! They were not that bad!

- I'm sorry to admit it but I agree with him, told Max. We didn't need that!

- God, I didn't know you could be so narrow-minded! You all agree with that!?

Will, Dustin and Lucas all looked at each other to see if they were on the same page.

- Ok, I'm apparently alone in this. It's fine, be assholes if you want!

- Come on Bev, you know what we mean, intervened Lucas.

- I can understand Max' point of view, but all of you, I really don't, you barely talked to them yesterday, you just looked at them like if they were creatures, like if they weren't good enough to eat with us, this is awful, stated Beverly.

- They are garbage! said Mike, upset that she wasn't understanding. They are criminals, maybe murderers, you don't even know why they were in jail, but it wasn't for nothing!

Beverly sighed loudly with her nose and rubbed her face. She didn't want to admit it, but they were right. Just because they were correct the day before didn't mean they were nice. They were not normal new students, they were coming from jail! It wasn't nothing. She just nodded, unable to find the right words.

The group separated, all going to their classes. Beverly and Max were together in Health class. The tables were in square, which meant they had four students around them, two facing two others. When they arrived, Jane and Melissa were sat next to each other at the back of the class, everyone as far as possible of them.

- It's worse than jail, mumbled Jane.

- Wanna go back? answered Melissa.

- Jeez, no fucking way, lightly chuckled the girl.