Chapter 61 : Back to school

Mallory, Clarissa and Max spent the week-end installing themselves in their new apartment, with the help of Dustin, Lucas and Melissa. They were exhausted but satisfied, they were feeling good in there, knowing it was a new beginning, especially for Clarissa and Mallory. Mallory was now working with Max at the coffee shop. The redhead spent the Sunday with her to explain her how it worked, but they wouldn't work together the next days, Max on the weekend and Mallory during the week. Clarissa found a job as a sales assistant in a clothes store in the mall. But only Max was going to school, and, sadly, the news about her family and Jane were spreading faster than she thought. Everyone was looking at her, murmuring, like if she couldn't know what they were talking about. She arrived near Beverly, and took support on the lockers.

- I wanna die, said dramatically Max.

- Good morning to you too, chuckled Bev. Don't worry, in a week they'll all forget.

- They tagged "pedophile" on my locker.

- Oh...

- And someone asked me if they had sex with Jane instead of me because I wasn't pretty enough.

- What!? God, people are so stupid!

- Yeah, clearly! It's gonna be a long week, sighed Max.

Beverly had a sorry pout and gave a friendly tap on her friend's shoulder. The situation was so awful for Max, and Bev couldn't imagine what the others would find to embarrass her more, and make her feel guilty for something she didn't do. She wondered how was Max because with this and Jane leaving, it was maybe a lot to handle, even if she looked contented, Bev knew she wasn't ok.

- You know, if you need to talk, I'm here, told Bev.

- Yeah, I know, smiled Max. But, for now, I'm good.

Bev nodded. She knew it was a lie, but she couldn't force her if she didn't want. They joined their friends at the lunch table, Mike and Will talking with Lucas and Dustin. Max was still mad at them, and seeing them coming back like if they didn't act like assholes was getting on her nerves, even if Will apologized, she couldn't stand them. Their stupid smiles, their too loud laughs and their happiness dripping on their ugly faces, it gave her horrible shivers. Just their voices were tensing her body of anger. She didn't understand how they could just keep living while they treated everyone, especially Jane, like shit, accusing her of crimes she didn't do, provoking her to make her look to be the bad guy, while all she was doing was going to school, trying to have a life! They were as responsible as the others of her decline.

- Max? Are you ok? asked Dustin with a concerned tone.

The redhead didn't even noticed that she was tightening her fork, her hand totally red now, like if she was ready to kill someone.

- Yeah, I'm fine, answered Max between her teeth and relaxing her hand. Just...tired, that's all.

- You know, we can kick their ass if you want, told Lucas.

- What?

- To those who mock you, and Jane, it's disgusting what they say, they have no idea of the real situation.

- They are mocking Jane too!?

- Um...Yeah, well, it's more Alban and his friends, the others don't really talk about it.

- Oh nice! That's perfect! And I'm sure you're part of it too!? said angrily Max, looking at Mike and Will.

- Of course not! replied Will.

- They're not our friends, not like you, intervened Mike.

- You're not my friend Mike! You spent months mocking her, being mean to her, you even spent time with Alban! And you claim to be my friend!? Whereas you know she is my girlfriend!? You're dumb or what!? And you (points Will), nothing of this would happen if you had a little heart for her, if you hadn't yelled at her the way you did, she wouldn't run away, and she wouldn't drink and take drugs again, doing stupid things that Jane does! She was feeling better, she wouldn't be this far now if you weren't there!

At the same moment, Alban and his friends appeared behind her with a laugh.

- Whoa Freck—

Max cut him with a punch in his face. The blonde head lost his balance but didn't fall, holding his nose. Beverly struggled to hold her laugh while the four boys were looking at her with wide opened eyes.

- You've something to say!? snapped Max.

Alban looked at her with big worried eyes, before walking away, followed by his friends. Max didn't look at her table, preferring to leave the cafeteria before punching someone else. Who did they think they were!? They knew nothing about this story, and less about Jane! They didn't spend nights with her when she was broken, taking care of her, they didn't saw her watching "Brother Bear", holding tight her Teddy Bear, watching at the movie with a cute concentration, to be sure to understand everything and to feel all the emotions. They just saw the one who lost hope and preferred prostituting herself than trying to make it in a life that didn't want her.

She sat against her locker and took a deep breath to calm down. Beverly joined her and sat next to her.

- You're ok? asked Bev.

- No! I hate all of them! They talk about her like if I wasn't there, like if my feelings didn't matter! And Mike telling me we're friends! What bullshits!

- Yeah, I agree with that. When she is allowed to have calls?

- In one month, I will certainly be in jail for killing my entire school, joked Max with an upset tone.

- Well, if you could spare me, I would appreciate, chuckled Bev.

- Yeah, I'll see.

- I hate you.

The two girls chuckled, calming Max. She knew she could live without Jane, but the way they were all treating her while she weren't even there was driving her crazy! She was glad that she was far, at least, she didn't have assholes despairing her.

- You still have her jacket? asked Bev.

- Of course, on my bed. I sound like a crazy girlfriend, don't I? pouted Max.

- Nah, you miss her, it's normal.

Yeah, she was missing her. But she needed to clear her mind, it was still creepy that her own uncle and aunt decided it was fine to pay a teenage girl to have sex with! It was unbelievable, and inhuman.