Chapter 21 : Bullshit

Max was disappointed. Jane didn't show up the day before. She really thought she provoked something in her mind, making her understand it was important for her to continue school, but apparently she didn't convince her. The girl was in Health class, next to Bev and in front of Melissa. The teacher wasn't there yet but the three girls were all quiet, Max by disappointment, Bev by tiredness and Melissa by emptiness.

- God, don't cut your wrists! joked someone who sat next to Melissa.

The three girls looked up and had a bright smile when they saw Jane there.

- Where the hell were you!? asked Melissa with an upset tone.

- Everywhere and nowhere, answered Jane.

- You're not dead!

- Disappointed?

- Impressed! You're always in the shit, I thought you could be at least hurt.

- Sorry, next time I shoot my leg, you will be happy!

- Don't be stupid, you can kill yourself by shooting your leg! intervened Bev.

- Yeah, Hills is right, told Melissa.

- But, I will not shoot my leg! God, you all dumb, I shouldn't come back!

- Why you do?

- I heard you were missing me, stated Jane.

- You needed someone to tell you that!?

- Um...

- And it's us the dumb!? Jane, you're the dumbest person I know.

- Yeah, that's true, pouted Jane.

The two redheads chuckled while Melissa gave a gently tap behind Jane's head. Beverly and Max were relieved to see her back, and she seemed to be in a good mood which wasn't very usual. They didn't know how many time it was going to last.

- Who told you? frowned the purple-haired girl.

- About? asked Jane.

- Me missing you.

Jane showed Max with her chin.

- You hooked up!?

- No! answered Max. She slept with me! (Melissa raised an eyebrow) On my couch! She was on my couch! Not...in my bed as there was my boyfriend...

- Oh, a threesome!

- Don't be dumb, she couldn't walk if I was there, told Jane.

- So pretentious, joked Max.

- Realistic.

Max threw playfully a pen to Jane which made them laugh.

- How did you finish together? frowned Bev.

- Well, you remember I had the dinner with my father and everyone? began Max.

- Oh shit! Yeah! How was it!?

- Awful, my dad and Neil started a fight in the club and everyone began to fight too, and Jane was there. As it was late I asked her, well, forced her to stay at my apartment for the night.

- That's so nice, smiled Beverly.

- What you were doing in this club!? asked Melissa.

- I saw an old...friend, answered Jane.

- Oh, you have friends!? Since when!? mocked the black girl.

- Cut it out!

The teacher entered and the girls stopped talking. Beverly gave a small smile to Max and gently squeezed her arm like to thank her for changing her mind and helping Jane. The end of the class happened normally. Even if Jane seemed to be in a good mood, Max could tell she was still angry, she didn't stop clenching her jaw all the time. The redhead really hoped she was feeling better, but just offering her a night and a breakfast couldn't change her, it was stupid to think that.