Chapter 45 : Christmas holidays

Tonight, it was the holidays. All the teens were excited but Max was worried. She didn't talk to Jane, not because she was fearing it but because she didn't find her since she broke up with Dan! And it was weird, none of the ex-prisoners were here, like if they all left just before the end of the program. The bell rang, making happy an entire school. The group of friends decided to enjoy their last moment together before holidays to go at the dinner. On their way, they saw Melissa wearing a yellow vest, picking up the garbage on the floor.

- Hey, what are you doing? frowned Dustin.

- I do my community service, answered the black girl.

- That's why you weren't at school? asked Lucas.

- (scoffs) School, it's over for us my friends! Since two weeks!

- What!? I thought it was supposed to end in December! told Max.

- Yes, the beginning of December, not the end! We even had a ceremony to "congratulate" us for our good behaviors!

- Why didn't we know? said Beverly.

- 'Cause you're not concerned.

- But, you are our friends, we could have been there for you!

- You didn't miss anything, it was...boring and stupid anyway.

The group of friends looked at each other and pouted. It was explaining why none of them came back.

- Jane was there? asked Max.

- Yep, she kept cursing again and again about this ceremony and how hypocritical it was, told Melissa with a small laugh.

- And what are you all going to do now? said Dustin.

- Doing our community service and work.

- Really!? What kind of work?

- What we find.

- And you? What do you do?

- I deliver pizzas, I'm lucky, answered the purple-haired girl.

- Then, I think I will eat more pizzas! smiled Lucas. Which pizzeria?

- Gino's.

- Nice, they have good pizzas there, told Bev.

They all nodded.

- What about the others? frowned Dustin.

- Dunno, pouted Melissa. Some came back to their old habits, others struggle to find a job, others struggle with their families so...it's complicated.

- Fuck, it doesn't sound good! stated Lucas.

- You still see them? asked Max.

- Not really, sometimes we're on the same community service but that's all, I don't really have time and majority stopped coming here.

- Why!? frowned Bev.

- Because they live far!

- Oh...

Max was more worried. Jane was all alone now and she wasn't sure she was able to know what was good to do and what she should avoid. She was sure she wouldn't see here again nearby.

- And you? How is it at home? asked Bev.

- It's fine, I don't lie when I say I'm lucky, I live with my grandparents, they're cool. I work to help them with everything you have to pay to be "allowed" to live.

- When do you finish? You could eat with us, what do you think?

- I don't know...(looks at her watch) I finish at 6 p.m. and begin at 8 p.m. which mean—