Chapter 20 : Breakfast

The road to her apartment was long. Jane was a bit stoned and had some difficulties when the drugs was losing their effects, tiring her and making her feel groggy. They finally arrived in front of the door, Max searching at her keys.

- You know she knows where you live now, right? murmured Dan.

- Of course I know, and I want her to know, answered Max.

- Why?

- If she needs something, she knows she can come here.

- I don't understand you, you were hating her weeks ago!

- I changed my mind!

The redhead finally found her keys and opened her door. It wasn't a big apartment. On the right of the door, against the wall was the TV and a small bookcase. In the angle was a glass door giving on a balcony on the courtyard. On the right wall was a table, a laptop and some books on it, with two chairs facing the wall, then the beginning of a kitchen. There was a recess between the right wall and the front wall, with the rest of the kitchen behind the front wall. Against this front wall was the couch with a coffee table in front of it and then a door right in front of the front door, at the right of the couch, and on the left, a white rabbit in a cage.

Dan entered while Max stepped back to Jane. She put her arms under Jane's shoulders and helped her to stand, then walked. Once inside, she sat her on the couch and went to her room. Her desk was on the right angle with her wardrobe next to it. She had a piano under the window, on the right wall, with her skateboard next to it, her bed in the middle of the room against the front wall with a nightstand at each side. On the left was a door giving on the bathroom. The sink was facing the door with a cupboard above it with a mirror, a bath and a toilet on the left, and a furniture on the right. She crouched to it and found her first aid kit that she brought to Dan, who was on her bed, to check his nose.

- Are you ok? asked the redhead.

- It's broken! answered Dan.

- I think I can replace it.

- What!? N-Ouch!

- Told you! smiled Max.

- It's not funny!

- I'm not laughing! But I'm sure it's better now. Let me bandage it.

Once repaired, Max gave a comforting kiss to her boyfriend before joining Jane in the living room. The ex-prisoner was trying to light on a cigarette with her shacking hands.

- Not inside! told firmly Max, taking the cigarette.

- Hey! It's mine! grumbled Jane.

- I'll give it back to you, but I don't want you to smoke inside, there is a balcony for this.

- Fine!

The redhead sat next to Jane and took her hands. She put a cold spray on them before cleaning the wounds with alcohol.

- If it hurts you tell me, ok? said softly Max.

As Jane didn't answer, Max looked up at her. The other girl was clenching hard her jaw and looking at her hands like to not scream.

- It's not badass to be hurt? lightly mocked the redhead.

- I'm not, mumbled Jane between her teeth.

Max had an amused sigh and playfully shacked her head. She was sure if she was cutting up her hand she wouldn't scream of pain, still clenching her jaw.

- Who was she? asked Max.

- Who was who!? answered Jane.

- Your friend, at the club.