Chapter 12 : Wound

Max was feeling bad about this week-end. Dan had been unbearable and she had to kick him out of her apartment to not kill him! But she was feeling guilty for implying that Jane stole Dustin's watch. She didn't know why she was feeling bad for her because she never cared about her and Jane could be worse than unbearable! It was certainly because of Bev and Clara and what they said. They were kinda right when Clara said they were fine before they arrived, or when Bev made them understand they had been too far this time with her. She took a deep breath, and arrived at her locker, near the smoking girl.

- You smoke too much! stated Max.

- Why you fucking give a shit!? replied sharply Jane.

Max clenched her jaw. She was mad at herself, now Jane was going to be way worse than she already was.

- Look, I know he went too far, but he wanted to be sure you wouldn't hurt anyone, said softly the redhead.

Jane slammed her locker and turned her head. Max had a startle when she saw her left eye. It was purple and black, a bit swollen with a bit blood on it.

- Shit! What happened to you!?

- Nothing! You don't give a shit anyway! yelled Jane.

- I do! affirmed Max.

- No you don't! You're just curious, you don't care of me and it's fine! But stop fake it!

Jane was at one centimeter of Max now, overhanging her with her angry face. The redhead was close enough to smell her breath of alcohol, smoke and weed. Without thinking, Max tried to touch the wound but Jane brutally stopped her by grabbing her wrist. She was tightening so hard that the blood wasn't circulating anymore in her hand. She wanted to call help but she was like mesmerized by the two crazy eyes in front of her, she couldn't look away, it was like if Jane wasn't there, it was someone else.

- Jane? called a voice next to them.

Max wanted to see who it was but she was scared that Jane could attack when she had the guard down.

- Jane, insisted the voice next to them, placing a hand on her this time.

Jane quickly turned her angry face to the person before brutally freeing herself and pushing this person.

- Don't fucking touch me!

- Ok! Ok, continued Joyce, her hands in front of her like to show she had no weapons on her.

A group of strong men was approaching them but Joyce held out her hand to them, to ask them to wait.

- You know I won't hurt you, right? stated calmly Joyce.

- I'm not crazy, answered coldly Jane.

- I know, I know, you are angry, I can understand, but now, I would like to check your eye, to see if it's infected, that's all, you agree?

Jane clenched her jaw before looking around. Three men were ready to jump on her at any moment and Jane hated that, she couldn't evacuate her anger because of them.

- If you don't mind, I don't think it's Max who hurt your eye, you could, maybe, let her go?

The ex-prisoner slowly turned to the redhead and looked at her hand like if she hadn't realized what she was doing. She removed her hand, freeing Max' wrist. The redhead looked at it and saw a red mark of Jane's fingers and her blood circulating again.

- Good, see? Everything is fine. Come with me, ok?

Joyce wanted to grab her shoulder but Jane had a brutal move to free her before quickly walking to the infirmary alone.