Chapter 59 : Interrogation

Jane was in the interrogation room, slumped on the chair, looking at the mirror in front of her like if she could see through it the serious faces behind. The Chief was standing there with his team, the Lieutenant Davis, and three other cops. He didn't know what to do to make her talk, he knew her, he knew she was the kind to close on herself when she thought she was in danger. He sighed loudly with his nose and left the room to join Jane. He sat in front of her without looking at her, opening her file and reading it. He could feel the cold stare she was giving to him.

- So, began Hopper, you had sexual relation with adults for money, since when?

- Months.

- How many?

- Three, maybe four. Or more.

Hopper nodded. He looked inside her red eyes, intoxicated by alcohol and certainly some drugs, but he saw nothing. Like if her soul left her body. But Jane was famous for her poker face so he wasn't really surprised and worried. But she certainly lost the notion of time, she certainly didn't know in which month they were, so her answer could be honest after all.

- Do you remember the names of the two men who prostitute you?

- Nah, told Jane.

- And what they look like?

- No.

- You don't remember or you don't want to?

- It don't matter, the answer is the same.

- The more you cooperate, the less you risk jail, you know that? said Hopper.

- I know.

- You want to go back in jail?

- That's where I belong.

It was exactly what he didn't want to hear. If she didn't care to go back in jail, she wouldn't say a word.

- Do you love her?

- Who?

- Melanie.

- Who?

- The woman you had sex with, this night, explained Hopper.

- Oh, no, she is just a client, told Jane.

- She claimed you were in love.

- We're not.

- You're sure? insisted the man.

- Yes.

He tried to make her upset but it didn't work, Jane was still cold and detached from the situation.

- You know it's illegal what you did, right?

- Yeah, yeah.

- Why doing it then?

- Why not, shrugged Jane.

- You know this is not normal, right?

- Pff, normal, scoffed the young girl. I can't be normal.

- Why not?

- Because, I'm not like you. People like me can't be like people like you. We're two different species.

- You didn't even try.

- Oh yeah? 'Cause I'm sure I tried, but, no one let me try correctly, except those two men who gave me a job to pay grub for me. You don't understand.

- Explain me then.

- You have no idea how it's like to grow up and live in the South. I hanged out so much in there that I know every part of the town. After 11 p.m. it's completely dead, like if we were under bombardments, everyone is hiding from the cops who think they can punch until blood, you can hear the wind or a group of sportsmen, finishing their party with unconsciousness, who shouldn't go too close of the port, to not drown in the water, strip clubs are opened, allowing teenagers girls to excite old men, letting anyone entering, not caring of their story, where everyone is fighting when the show is not entertaining, you can see six years old kids, asking for money with a gun pointed, running away from their families, families which don't exist, half of the parents are alcoholic and violent, if they are not completely absent, you can see teens under bridges, prostituting to live, between the cranes which destroy the only places to squat, to build a mall where we won't be allowed to go, there is a street with all the hobos who I know their names, Andre cut his veins in front of the city hall but nobody cared, the only school is condemned, too dangerous to teach us how to live, ten years old deal drugs, making overdose everyone, because we don't know how to take it with no risk, we all prefer sleeping outside, even when it's freezing, not feeling safe at home, and if someone give you a room for a night in exchange of sex, we do it, because that's what we are. That's what people like me do.

Hopper didn't answer. She was holding this inside her since so many time that it exploded. He closed his file and left the room, letting the young girl calming down, alone. When he arrived in the corridor, he saw Joyce and the other teens on chairs a bit further. The mother saw him and quickly walked to him.

- So? asked Joyce.

- According to her, jail is her better option.

- What!? You're not going to send her in there again, right?

- No. She needs help, jail won't help her.

- Ok, good, good. She can still come with me, if you need.

- No, she has to go in rehabs, be watched all day and all night.

- They will accept her?

- They will accept her, and all the others, I'll do everything for that, affirmed the man.

- Ok. For the trial?

- We'll see.

The man kept going. They interrogated Max and Clarissa but none of the girls knew about this so they were released. Melanie kept telling again and again that it was just love, even when the Chief was telling her the contrary. They had enough proofs to arrest her anyway, but now, they needed to find the other clients and the other teens who prostituted under this bridge, but Jane didn't know their names or where they lived.

- But I saw them, I can describe them.

Hopper was surprised by her suddenly cooperating. Maybe she understood they wouldn't send her in jail, no matter what. He sent an expert who stayed six hours with the young girl, listening to her giving details about them. He separated the clients and the other teens, and gave the drawings to the Chief who showed them to Joyce and the teens.

- Uh, said Clarissa. It's my father.

- What!? exclaimed Max, looking at the drawing she was holding. Damn, your parents suck!

- What is his name? asked Hopper.

- Pierre Green.

- (writes his name) Ok, what about the others?

- Never saw them.

All the teens shook their heads to tell they didn't know, before giving back the drawings. Max couldn't believe it, her aunt AND her uncle had sex with Jane!? Which proved that you didn't need to grow up in the South to be garbage! The two girls sat, dazed by all of this.

- Can we see her? asked Melissa.

- Not before the trial, answered Hopper.

- Why!?

- It's the law.

- You're gonna isolated her until the trial!?

- We're going to prepare her for the trial, she needs to stay focus.

The black girl sighed loudly with her mouth, upset.

- She could at least see her dog and her cat, no? proposed Bev.

- Uh...why not, frowned Hopper.

The Chief took the dog and the cat and went in the interrogatory room. When he opened the door, the dog and the cat ran inside to their owner who jumped of her chair to crouch to them.

- Dog! Cat! exclaimed Jane.

Hopper thought it was a good idea. At least, she was smiling.