Chapter 8 : Chemistry

It was the first period. Dustin and Lucas were in Chemistry, trying to do their experiment with difficulties.

- How many for this one? asked Dustin, holding a blue liquid.

- 5 milliliters, answered Lucas, looking at his paper.

The curly-haired boy obeyed, being sure he was putting the good thing in the other liquid. The door opening cut everyone in their works. It was Jane, late again.

- Hello, smiled the teacher. Um...As the experiment already began, you can go with a group to finish it and catch up what they already did. Which group can accept this girl with them?

Everyone looked down. Lucas and Dustin looked at each other before both raising their hands.

- Great, thank you.

Jane shyly walked to the two boys looking at the equipment with confused eyes.

- It's the first time you see something like that, right? stated Dustin with a smile.

- Um...that's dangerous? asked Jane.

- Only if you drink it, joked Lucas.

Jane nodded, still not sure. She noticed everyone was wearing a white long jacket, but she didn't know why. She slowly approached but Dustin gently stopped her with his hand but the girl had a defensive movement.

- No, it's fine, you just need to wear a blouse before, it's all! told quickly Dustin with an apologetic tone. You have some at the back of the room, you can borrow one if you want.

Jane looked at him with the same confused eyes before going to the back of the room. She came back with the white coat in her hands, before putting it.

- Great, you're ready now, smiled Dustin.

- (holds out a paper) This is what we've done before you arrive, you can rewrite what I wrote and when you'll catch up, you can finish the experiment with us, or, you can finish the experiment with us and during the break I can let you my paper and explain you, it's as you want, told Lucas.

Jane nodded and grabbed the paper. She didn't know why they were nice with her, maybe to hurt her better later. She preferred catching up now, not really knowing what they were doing anyway. The two boys continued their experiment, asking Jane if everything was alright sometime, until she joined them. She spent majority of the time just watching them, without understanding what they were doing.

- You wanna try? proposed Lucas.

- Uh...no, answered Jane.

- It's not hard, we will help you, reassured Dustin.

- Ok.

She approached. Dustin and Lucas explained her what she had to do. It wasn't really complicated, she just had to mix two liquids together but for Jane it was the hardest thing ever! She had never done that before! She grabbed one recipient and gave a look to the two boys, wanting them to validate that she was doing the right thing. When they nodded, she poured the liquid in the other one and a new color appeared. She wide opened her eyes, fascinated.

- It's cool, huh? said happily Dustin.

- I don't know how I done that, but it's really cool, told Jane with a small smile.

- Yeah it is, added Lucas with the same enthusiasm.

The three teens finished their work, all a bit more relax, especially Jane. Lucas and Dustin tried to explain to Jane how it worked but it was too much new words for the girl, she didn't understand anything, but she appreciated that they tried.