Chapter 60 : Goodbye

After two weeks, the police found all the clients and all the teens. The clients denied having sexual relation with them while the teens, after being convinced that they weren't in trouble, admitted it. The trial lasted an entire week, listening to all of them telling everything, and uncovering the criminals. They were all condemned to thirty years in jail, while the teens were pardoned, with a financial compensation for the victims and the criminals' families, allowing Max, Clarissa and Mallory to take the apartment they visited. All the teens were included in programs of reintegration and withdrawal, in different cities, according to their problems. Jane was sent in Seattle, at the "New Sun" center.

- It's far, stated Lucas.

The teens and Joyce were all in front of the police station, with Jane in front of them, to tell her goodbye.

- Yeah...answered Jane.

- It sounds to be a great place, you will be good in there, reassured Joyce with a warm smile.

Jane just shrugged. It was a new place, again, but, at least, far from Cassandra and this shitty town, but it meant far from her friends too. She hoped it would be fast, but she knew it wouldn't, there was too much things to take care.

Lucas, Dustin, Mallory, Beverly, Melissa and Joyce all hugged her to say goodbye and then went a bit further, to let Max and Jane alone.

- You're mad? asked Jane.

- Yes.

- I understand.

- I'm not mad at you, well, not completely.

- Oh...ok...

- I just, don't understand why you didn't come to me when you left Joyce's house! You knew I would let you in!

- Yeah, I know, I just...I didn't want you to see me like that, I'm not really liking this Jane and, I was worried you could just hate me after that...I mean, we were just beginning, I didn't want to be a burden already.

- Jane, if you're in a relation, your problems became my problems and vice versa. But, your problem is not because you were scared to be a burden, you were too pride to admit that you had a problem, stated Max.

- Yeah...Maybe...

- See? You still don't admit it, but it's fine, you'll do it at this rehab, you'll be better, find the origins of your addictions, solve your problems, and learn how to live without all of this, in a safe and warm place.

- Yeah...They don't want us to have visits...

- I know, it sucks, pouted the redhead.

Max was divided. A part of her wanted to kiss and hug her but another thought it would be weird, as Jane had sex with her aunt and uncle. She didn't know what to think, but Jane was going to leave for a long time, maybe it wasn't the moment to hesitate, and nothing proved that she would come back after her rehab.

She slid her arms around her waist, flattened her hands on her back and rubbed it with her thumbs. Jane's heat seized her body, relaxing all her muscles. She hid her face in her girlfriend's strong neck and closed her eyes, enjoying the short moment they had together. She wasn't mad at her, she was disappointed, but she thought this word was worse to hear, so she kept it for herself, not wanting to desperate the young girl preparing herself to feel better.

- Um...it means we're good? asked Jane.

- Well, it means I want you to feel better, told Max.

- But, we're still...a thing?

- For now just focus on your rehab, we'll see after, if you come back.

- I've nowhere else to go.

- Yeah, well, it didn't seem to bother you.

- Yeah...

- But, if you come back, there is still a place for you at our apartment.

- Ok.

- Oh, and I've something for you.

Max broke the hug and bent to search on her bag. She first took off a paper with her new address and then, Mr.Bear. Jane held it like if he was precious, with a big smile.

- I think you'll need it in Seattle, said Max.

- Thank you, smiled Jane. You know what, I'm gonna give you something, to be sure I'll come back.

- You don't have to.

- I know.

Jane put her bag on the floor before taking off her leather jacket and holding it out to the redhead.

- No, Jane, I can't, this is your jacket!

- Take it! It's fine! I can survive without it, insisted Jane.

Max took it and brought it at her nose to smell Jane's odor. It was smelling sweat and cigarette but it was her odor, so she liked it.

- You're cold now, stated Max.

- Kinda, lightly chuckled Jane.

The redhead took off her hoodie and gave it to her girlfriend.

- Now you have two reasons to come back, 'cause I want to see it again, smiled Max.

- Ok, I have no choice now! joked Jane.

- Definitely not, chuckled the redhead. At least, if you don't wanna stay, we could know how you are.

Jane nodded. The two girls both tightened the hug, not wanting to let the other go. Max lightly broke the hug, and approached her face close to Jane's, kissing her lips. It wasn't a vigorous kiss like the first ones, this one was tenderer, like to feel one last time each other's soft lips. Max broke the kiss and put her forehead against hers.

- You have to go, stated the redhead, seeing Hopper behind.

- Yeah...I don't want to...

- You're gonna be ok.

- I'm scared...confessed Jane.

- Hey, you're gonna be fine. And, every time you'll feel bad or sad, you can hug Mr.Bear and wear my hoodie, it's like if I was with you, ok?

- Yeah, ok, weakly smiled the ex-prisoner.

They slowly separated, Max joining the others, Jane going to Hopper. The ex-prisoner waved a last time before entering the car and leaving them.

- You're ok? asked Bev.

- Yeah, sniffed Max.

Clarissa wrapped her arms around her cousin to comfort her.

- I hate your parents, lightly joked the redhead.

- Yeah, me too! answered Clarissa.

- She is going to be ok, it's for her good, said softly Joyce.

Max nodded. Even if she was sure she would be ok, she would still miss her. And she didn't know how many time she was supposed to miss her, hoping it wouldn't be too long.