Chapter 42 : Coffee shop

Jane didn't come back at school, it was Thursday and nobody saw her the days before. Max was worried but not really surprised, it was common with her. But now, she had something else in her mind, something that bothered her since the week-end, since she talked to Clarissa. She went to Beverly who was at her locker.

- Can I talk to you? asked shyly Max.

- Of course, smiled Bev. What's wrong?

- I saw Clarissa.

- Oh! How was it?

- Great, actually. It was like we never left each other, and, I think I understood better why I had a problem with the ex-prisoners.

- It wasn't because of your parents' shop? frowned Beverly.

- Not just that, of course I'm mad at the robbers but, I was furious at her because she left me while I needed her with me, you see? explained Max.

- Yeah, I see, it's great that you understood your anger.

- Yeah, I'm happy too, but I'm not here for that.

- I'm listening.

- Well...um...I talked to her about, Jane kissing me but I still don't want to break up with Dan-

- Which I don't understand!

- Anyway, she advised me to...you know, do it alone to know who I've in mind...

- Ok, nodded Bev, pursing her lips to not laugh.

- Don't mock me, I don't know how to do that!

- You want me to explain you!?

- Uh, no, it's just, it's stressing me and Dan is coming next week so, I could just wait, to see how it is and...I don't know...

- I'm pretty sure you already know who you have in mind, you're just scared to accept it, that's why you stay with Dan, to reassure you, even if you know he is a real asshole.

- I'm not sure she has feelings, it could be just sexual with her! I mean, when we were in her car, she didn't talk to me!

- You were in her car!?

- She was there Saturday.

- You talked about her with your cousin with her next to you!?

- What? No! Of course not, what do you have in mind!? She was with her sister, far from us! But she proposed me to bring me back home, and I said yes because three hours in a bus it's too long! told Max.

- She is mad at you and she offered you a ride!? And you wonder if she has feelings for you!? Damn Max! Sometimes I wonder if you're not a boy! stated Beverly.

- A boy!?

- You don't think! Or you don't want her to have feelings for you, it would be simpler for you.

- I don't know what I want...

- What scares you?

- Her! I mean, I'm not scared of her, but I'm scared that one day, I don't know, I find her dying of an overdose on the floor or a cop calls me to tell me she crashed because she was drunk or that she robbed a bank and will go in jail!

Beverly nodded. She understood what was wrong in this situation. Maybe Jane needed to be good with herself before being good with someone else, but how? A rehab seemed to be the solution but it cost too much and Jane didn't have enough to pay herself this. And nothing proved it would work with her, she seemed to have begun this lifestyle at a pretty young age, it would be a long fight.