Chapter 4

"Nova my sweet girl, it's time to wake up." I feel a light hand on my shoulder and then a gentle shake. Opening my eyes I see Mrs Bun's kind face looking down on me.

"Good morning, how did you sleep?" she asks.

"I slept really well, this bed is very comfortable." I reply not looking her in the eyes.

I spent the first part of the night tossing and turning, images of Xavier behind my eyes. I must have finally drifted off sometime early morning.
The nervous feeling is back in my stomach as I know I will be spending the morning with him, I understand he doesn't want me here and that makes me feel uneasy.

"let's get you washed, dressed and ready for the day." Mrs Bun muses not noticing my inner turmoil.

She has a bowl full of warm water and a cloth and leaves me to wash, before pulling on a pale pink robe she laid out on the bed for me.

I watch her open the wardrobe and pull out two dresses. One pale pink and one pale blue, similar in style as the white one which I wore yesterday.
I pick the pale pink one with a white ribbon for the bow. This dress fits me perfectly like the white one did, and I'm instantly curious.
"Mrs Bun, why is there dresses for me here, and why do they fit so perfectly?" Mrs Bun stops tying my bow behind my waist and clears her throat.

"That is something you will have to ask Robert.. I mean Mr Laywood when he comes back, It's really not my place to tell you at this moment in time, I hope that's okay." She turns me around to face her as she finishes speaking.

"But please call me Trudy from now on, everyone does." As she smiles, but the smile doesn't quite reach her eyes this time.

"I will take you down to the dining room for breakfast, now your all done."
She's done something different with my hair today, and I can't help but admire her handiwork.
Half my hair is pinned up in a bun at the top of my head and the rest is hanging in curls around my shoulders.
I feel feminine and pretty with this hairstyle, and I thank her kindly.

"Oh, one last thing before we leave." She picks up the crystal bottle sitting on the dressing table and gently pulls the lid out the bottle, she moves the crystal lid to my wrists, and dabs a slight yellowy clear liquid on them, before dabbing more behind my ears. I lift my wrist to smell and the sweet flowery smell fills my nose.

"Delightful isn't it?" Trudy answers my thoughts, I nod breathing in the scent once more.

Trudy opens the door and asks me to follow her as she takes me down for breakfast.
We pass Xavier's room and then to the stairs, we make our way down and then cherry Wood stairs. She walks me through the drawing-room I sat in when we first arrived, and through to a bigger sitting room with a grand black shiny piano. Then lastly, she takes me along to a large room with a very long table in the middle.
Lots of chairs are tucked under the table except for two at the very end, they have been pulled out slightly, ready to be occupied.
Dishes and plates are set out and I can see food waiting to be eaten.

"Nova if you sit here." Trudy gestures to one of the seats, "Please help yourself to the food." As she picks up a napkin, handing it to me.

"I've got some jobs to do, but Xavier will be with you shortly. He requested you start without him, as he's had to go to the clinic to sign for a delivery, but he shouldn't be much longer." Trudy explains while making her way to the door.

"I will see you later, and enjoy."
I nod my head kindly towards her as she goes.

In front of me are plates of plump sausages, crispy bacon, fried and scrambled eggs, mushrooms and buttered toast. The smell makes my stomach grumble as I keenly start putting food on my plate.