Chapter 7

"Nova, Nova." Please open your eyes.

I can hear a man's voice but it seems so far away.
After I closed my eyes at the sight of Xavier punching that vile man's face I must have covered my ears. Not that it's made any difference, I can still hear the crunching sound of the man's nose being hit repeating over and over again in my mind.

I feel cool fingers on my hands trying to pull them away from my ears and I scramble back in fright only to hit my head for the third time on the filing shelves.
The stinging intensifies to a burning pain and I yelp. My head is throbbing.

"Nova it's Xavier, your safe now."

I open my eyes and see Xavier bent over towards me with concern on his face.
He tries to touch me but I flinch and close my eyes again.
I can see him punching the vile man again going around my head like a sideshow. But what scares me more is the look of wild anger on his face before he did it.
It was animalistic, inhuman and so very terrifying.

"She's bleeding, her head is cut." I hear Xavier say.

He seems concerned, which is strange given the fact he's made his opinion about me very clear.

"Nova I am going to move you to have a look at your head." He states.
But I shake my head and cringe.

My head is so sore and the burning pain gets stronger.

I hear footsteps and I can sense someone else is in front of me.

"Nova, it's Sylvia. Can we get you up and take a look at your head?" She asks softly like she's trying not to startle me.

I can still feel the way he squeezed my breast and the smell of his breath on my face. I start to shake. His sinister laugh combines with the crunching sound in my head and I let out a whimper, fresh tears escaping from my eyes and dripping now my checks.

"Nova your safe now, but we really need to get you up." Nurse Sylvia speaks to me once more and I can tell she's feeling desperate.

I feel strong arms slide under my bent legs and around my back as I'm lifted up off the ground like I weigh less than a feather, I can smell Xavier and he smells like soap mixed with something herbal and musky. It smells mouth-watering good.

I'm too overwhelmed to fight and my head hurts too much to resist being picked up. I don't think I could stand even if I tried.
I feel him walking and then a softness as he lays me on an examination bed. I know I need to open my eyes but I can't. More tears fall and I remove my hands from my ears to swipe them away. Holding my face in my hands I cry, loud sobs rip from my chest as I can't stop.
I see the vile man with his disgusting grin, I feel John keepers weight on top of me pushing me further into the bed and then Xavier's anger as he punched that man in the face. It's all too much.
I start to shake as I feel a warm blanket placed over my shoulders.

"Shh, it's okay." I feel Nurse Sylvia's hands rubbing my shoulder trying to comfort me best she can.

I can't bare to think what would have happened if Xavier hadn't found me. Especially as I didn't know where the money was as Mabel never showed me.
I'm sure that man wouldn't have believed me and.. and... I know he would have done worse than squeeze my breast.
I try to calm my crying down with deep breaths, I choke a few times on my sobs but I getting calmer with each breath.
I open my eyes but they are still covered by my hands. So I slowly remove them.
I can see Nurse Sylvia sitting on the bed with so much concern over me that I tear some more.

"You broke my fucking nose!" booms that vile man's voice from the waiting area.
"Yes I'm well aware of the that, I was the one to break it." Xavier replies cooly.
"I wasn't doing nothing to her, I was just talking to her." He continues.