Chapter 51

Song for Chapter.
Wildest dreams- Taylor swift.
*************************

Isaac and Mr Laywood take a fainted Angeles to the drawing-room, in the promise of some smelling salts Mr Laywood informs, "That will bring Angeles around in a jiffy!"

I want to go with them but my legs do not seem to want to co-operate, my eyes glued to Xavier.

He's crouching down by Hannah's feet reassuring her, his voice is soft and full of affection and compassion.

I know being a doctor you should be all those things, but it still makes my stomach turn, like I'm witness to a private moment between the two, and I'm stuck watching, unsure what to do or where to be.

He's just being compassionate right?

I'm mean, the girl has a knife in her foot.

Like he's heard my thoughts, Xavier inhales deeply, then slowly turns around to face Trudy, who is standing in panic, her eyes flitter to Hannah's face, and then to her injured foot.
Both her girls she's responsible for are in bad shape and she's close to tears.
Her eyes like mine trail the blood that's seeping out, like strokes of watercolour paint, long and wispy. Parts are a deep red, but gradually seem to lighten the longer it spreads.

"Trudy, can you get some alcohol and some towels please." Xavier's voice breaking the tension in the room. As he stands up to his full height looking back to Hannah's foot.

"Of course." Trudy exhales, I can see she's happy to be helping any way she can.

Shuffling my feet, I ask myself, what do I do? does Xavier need my help? or shall I go to Angeles?
I decide the latter, picturing her limp body in Isaac's arms. I should have just followed them to begin with.

Poor Angeles, I hope she's okay.

Turning on my heel I start to walk, I want to be there when Angeles wakes-

"Nova, can you come here for a moment?" Xavier's deep voice throws me as I stop mid-step.

Me?

I smooth out my dress, as I amble back towards them. Hannah is visibly shaking now and her teeth are making a chattering sound.
Even though I don't like her, I would never wish for something like this to happen.
She looks so white and very cold.

I clear my throat quietly, wanting to feel useful as the unease creeps under my skin.

"Sha..shall I get her a blanket? She looks very cold." I stutter a little, watching her body tremor before me.

But Xavier ignores me and speaks.

"I need you to hold her foot still while I pull the knife out to set her foot free, as the knife has penetrated the wood flooring." He states clinically, just as loud whimper escapes Hannah's lips.

"Shh, it's okay." He soothes, while I swallow the bile rising up my throat, jealously hurting my insides. Why are his words laced with more care than normal?

"I've got them, Xavier, I found some whisky and have three towels, will that be enough? Trudy asks in a fluster.

"Yes that will be fine Trudy, now place the bottle to her lips and make sure she drinks quite a lot of it- And Nova please take Hannah's foot, I need her to keep her foot still!" He barks, I recoil at his demand and immediately bend down and touch her foot with the knife sticking out of it. It's such a sickening sight and I'm glad I didn't consume any supper tonight.

Once Trudy has made Hannah drink a few mouthfuls, even though much of it dribbled out of her mouth and down her trembling chin. Xavier bends down and looks to Hannah, then back to her foot.
He slowly pulls out the knife.