Chapter 42

I turn to Mr Laywood and see him frowning a little.

But Xaviers words reply in my mind.

I love her, but she doesn't love me.

Xavier loves me, he's in love with me. I can't help the warm feeling developing around my heart. He loves me.
But why does he think that I don't share his feelings, that I don't love him. Surely he must know how I feel about him?
But as I think back to our moments together, all I've done is push him away. Even told him that I don't want him anymore and that I hate him. Especially after him punching Toby.

Thoughts plague my mind, no wonder he's reacted the way he has, he's done nothing but show his love towards me and all I've done is dismiss it and thrown it away. Then kissed Toby in front of him.

Mr Laywood clears his throat and I blink, startled by the sudden noise that's brought me back from my mind.

"As tradition states, the eldest son would have to marry a virgin. That was why I had to make sure you were still pure before I let feelings develop between you too. Why I was hardly around so give you two some space to get to know each other. I hope that is still the case now." He asks, and I can see he's feeling embarrassed by his question.

I shift slightly in response, but he continues.

"I won't be around forever, and you marrying Xavier will insure your always looked after and protected. Just what your mother wanted. I know you have feelings for him, wether you have admitted that fact to him or not."

I nod at his question, feeling numb and broken. Of course I'm still a virgin, but I never realised the significance of it untill now. But thinking back to the argument I had with Mr Laywood, he told me that my virginity meant everything. I ignored his statement when really I should have questioned it.
Thoughts and memories go through my head at such a speed I'm sure I'm going to crash. Little clues thrown in here and there makes my head ache. I should have known everything was leading up to something big, although never in my wildest dreams could I imagine this.
With a heavy heart, I smile lightly knowing I'm exactly where my mither wanted me to be. I'm safe and loved and I will be happy, for her memory sake.

"What will happen to Lady Cordelia now?"
My voice breaks from being so silent for so long.

"Well Lady Cordelia will be leaving tomorrow. The only reason she is here, is because I wrote to her father to say the engagement was off. Her father was so desperate for Xavier to marry her that he hired Henry as his solicitor and promised him a rather large reward to make sure the wedding would still continue. But in the meantime her and Henry have been having a love affair behind our backs. So now Xavier couldn't possibly marry Cordelia even if her father pursued the matter."

My eyes widen at the fact her and Henry have been seeing each other in secret. I wonder how he found this information out.

"But as a gesture of good faith, I've written to Cordelias father and offered that Henry could marry her instead. Although they wouldn't receive half the amount of money I was to pay if it was Xavier."

I nod again as everything makes sense. The healthcare check, the room I'm in, the privacy myself and Xavier have had. The way Mr Laywood stuttered when introducing Cordelia. Now the news that Henry and Cordelia could marry instead makes me happy, there isn't anybody in the way anymore.

I clear my throat, one thing hadn't been explained though.

"What about the dresses?"

"Dresses?" Mr Laywood asks not understanding what I mean.

"The dresses in the wardrobe for me to wear." I ask thinking back to how they fit perfectly.

"Oh, well they were your mothers. Trudy just customised them to make them more modern. She was sure they would fit you perfectly, and they do. You and your mother have the same measurements." He says with a smile.