Chapter 58

Nova

I've been waiting for an hour now for Xavier's reply. I'm more nervous than I've ever been as Angeles, silently get me dressed after my bath. The beautiful wedding dress doesn't hold the same amount of excitement as it did only an hour ago.

Why hasn't he replied to me?

How can I marry him, if this is the type of things he keeps from me?

Do I just let it go and Marry him regardless?

Am I just overthinking everything?

I look to Angeles reflection in the mirror as she's pinning the last few curls in place, she's lost in thought as confusion seems to hang on her face, weighing her down. Her eyebrows scrunch together and then she shakes her head.

"Angeles, are you okay? You seem very out of sorts since you came back." I ask, and watch her expression change instantly to a shy smile.

"Sorry, It's just I met Xavier's youngest brother earlier, and it was the strangest thing." She rubs her forehead slightly like it pains her.

"Was he horrible like Henry?"

"No, no, quite the opposite. He seems charming enough, although made a comment on my freckles." She huffs.

"Oh, Angeles! Was he mean to you?" I ask turning around to face her. I hope he wasn't mean or teased her.

"No that's not it. I mean, he commented about them, but it wasn't a horrible comment. I feel he seems to speak freely without thinking of what he's saying." She muses, lost in thought once more.

"Well if he didn't offend you, then what was strange about him?" I ask, interested in what has caused this unease that Angeles seems to be conflicted with.

"Well, I don't know. It seems silly, but I can't help feeling I've met him before. There is something about him so familiar that I can't quite place my finger on."  

"Hmmm, maybe you have met him before and not known at the time?" I say, taking her hand.

"No, that can't be it. I would have remembered seeing him, he's rather handsome." She giggles, "Now let's get this veil pinned into place."

*******
"Oh Nova, you look so very beautiful." Mr Laywood exclaims, with a huge smile. "My goodness, you so remind me of your mother. She would be so proud of you my dear."

"Thank you." I give Mr Laywood a small smile.

"I have some things for you and Angeles. I just wanted to bring them to you before you left. "

He walks out to the corridor and comes back in with two white cardboard boxes. Then walks to place them on the bed.

"Before you open them, my dear, could I ask something from you." He asks seeming nervous.

"Of course." I nod.

"Well you see, you are the closest I have to a daughter, and I wanted to ask if I could walk you down the aisle."

I didn't even think about who would walk me down the aisle. But of course, I would want Mr Laywood too. I guess he's the closest thing I have to a father now.

"I would be honoured if you could walk me down the aisle. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be here. I owe you so much Mr Laywood. I could never say thank you enough for everything you have done for me." My eyes start to water as I look to Mr Laywood, and how happy my words have made him.

"Thank you, dear, I will cherish this. And please call me Robert, we will be family now." He smiles, "I best make myself scarce, I will see at the church soon my dear."