Chapter 50

"Good Evening my dear, please take a seat. Mrs Green has prepared us a Roast for this evenings meal, and I for one am looking forward to it." Mr Laywood states kindly, as I take a seat at the table opposite Xavier.
He gives me a warm smile, which I return thinking of the beautiful journal he gifted me.

"I hear Xavier took you to the Orphanage today, how did you find it?" Mr Laywood asks taking a sip of his red wine.

"Oh, it was wonderful!" I exclaim excitedly, thinking back to the children's faces alight with joy. Then little Abby, who has already made a little space, inside my heart.
"Watching the children open their gifts was something out of a Christmas novel. I have never seen anything like it." I grin, and look to Xavier who's also grinning. His brown eyes gleam in the candlelight, as his messy hair is styled scantily sticking up at the front. I swallow, imagining myself running my fingers through that mane as he kisses my neck. I squeeze my thighs together in impulse and blink to clear my vision.

Can't have improper thoughts at the dinner table Nova.

But I sneak another look to his full lips and his dark eyelashes.
Just as Xavier catches my eye, giving me a knowing look.

Don't blush, don't blush.

"-Well, I'm glad my dear, nothing like children opening gifts to get you into the Christmas spirit!" Mr Laywood states and looks to Xavier.

"Have you seen Toby lately? I'm afraid he's been attacked and has a broken nose and two black eyes."

I gasp.

Toby.

I had completely forgotten about him. What a terrible person I am, especially as it's my fault he was punched.

I look to Xavier with narrow eyes, but his expression is indifferent.

"No father, I'm afraid I haven't." He states while avoiding my glare.

"Well, I think maybe it would be kind of you to pay him a visit and check out his nose. He wouldn't tell me what happened, but he seemed rather embarrassed about it all." Mr Laywood said, as his eyes glaze over lost in thought.

But the clinking of plates and the delicious smell of food turns our attention to Angeles and Trudy who have joined us with steaming plates of food.
Then with a drop to my stomach, familiar Hazel eyes find mine as Hannah walks through with a roast chicken.

I avert my gaze to Xavier who looks to me with a reassuring smile.

But it's not reassuring in the least.
Why must she still be here?

I know it's cold of me, but If I'm honest, I don't want her working here anymore. Her being around Xavier just reminds me of the hurt he's caused and the fact they were lovers, makes it unbearable to even look at her.
But as a much as it pains me, my eyes follow her every move while I tense my jaw.

I watch as she serves Mr Laywood first, then moves onto Xavier. Knowing she's got an audience, she gives me a sly smile as she slowly pours the gravy seductively onto Xavier's plate, angling her body so she's pushing her chest towards him. But her eyes never leaving mine. She's toying with my jealousy and she knows it.

Bitch.

Xavier hasn't noticed and is in polite conversation with his father. But with a brush off her arm to his, he looks to Hannah and then to me.

I can feel the fire in my eyes blazing into Hannah, but also the familiar thickness of my throat as my eyes sting.
I blink trying to clear any tears away.

Don't cry, Nova.

Just breathe.

Xavier clears his throat.