Chapter 45

"Nova stop!" A deep voice calls, as his hand grips my arm.
My fight or flight response pounding in my ears, I yelp as I hit out thinking its Mr Travers again, coming back from the dead.
But with shock Xavier's head moves quickly, to avoid my hand making contact, as he steadies me from falling backwards.

"What are you doing here!" I yell, out of breath and angry that he followed me.

"I didn't mean to scare you, I just needed you to stop!" His breathing is more controlled like he's used to running than I am.

"Nova, I'm sorry, I really fucked up and I didn't want you to leave, even though I told you too." His voice is strained as he searches for my eyes.
"I'm an arsehole, I'm an idiot, I'm all the things you want to call me, but I can't let you run."

I swallow and realise my mouth is dry, "Xavier all we do is fight, can't you see? It would be better if I just left and you can marry a more suitable girl, Someone that would turn a blind eye at the things you do, and not fight with you over them. I'm sure if I explained to your father-"

"NO!" Xavier says angrily shaking his head. "We've had an argument, but that's exactly that, that's what we do, we argue and we make up. I'm not letting you run and especially not to him."

"Who?" I ask, confused.
Who would I be running too? I have no one.

I look to Xavier and he seems confused by my question.

"Well, your outside Tobys cottage." He states looking behind me. I blink and slowly turn, trying to focus my eyes through the darkness. But I start to see a cottage form with a small candlelight in one of the windows. I didn't know Toby lived so close to the Laywoods estate, right outside the gates. But I guess they must own the cottage and house people around who work for them.
Toby.
His unconscious face settles behind my eyes, he didn't deserve to he hit, all because Xavier is a jealous arsehole who couldn't stand to watch me kiss another. Like he's done so many times to me.

"Why would I be running back to Toby? I'm sure he wants nothing to do with me now after you hit him!" I yell, angry at him again and annoyed that he thought I would run to him.
When really I had no idea where I was running too.

"I just thought, as you kissed him, and it's not like you have anywhere to go."

My face must have shown how his words affected me, it's like a thousand knives hit my chest all at once.
Nowhere to go, poor orphan girl. She has nothing, no parents, no home, nothing.

"I don't need your pity!" I scream and start to walk again.

"I didn't mean it the way it sounded Nova, you have somewhere to go. Your home is here, that's where you belong." He says as he reaches for me, but I step back with my arms out in front of me, protecting myself.
"With me." He says lightly looking into my eyes, I feel them burning my skull with the intensity of his words.

I huff and watch the smoke shoot from my lips, it's so cold and my teeth are starting to chatter. I debate on what to do, but I know I need to go back. He is right I have nowhere to go and if I stay out in this weather for much longer I will freeze to death.

After a pause, he clears his throat.

"If you won't come back for me," He looks to me meaningfully, "At least come back for Angeles, She saw you running and I stopped her following you, she's probably worried sick right now."
At the mention of Angeles, I look towards the darkness, towards the Laywoods estate. I don't want to worry her, I know I need to get back and explain everything. Picturing her sweet little face worried because of me, makes me guilty, and I start to move. I have to get back to her and to Trudy. As I walk a cold breeze lingers through the air blowing the hair off my neck, as a shiver courses through my body. My teeth clatter even more and my body violently shakes. The ice-cold night engulfs my skin and sets deep within to my bone. My dress is only thin and my arms exposed, I place my hands over my arms to somehow keep warm.