Chapter 34

I hold Xavier for what feels like hours. I can hear his heart beating beneath my ear and feel his deep breaths that rattle his chest as he calms down.
He places his chin on my head and wraps his arms around me.

"I didn't sleep with Hannah." His voice barely a whisper.

"What? But she was wearing your shirt." I say as I pull away to look at his face.

"Yes she was wearing my shirt because we nearly slept together, but I stopped it. I couldn't stop thinking about you." His eyes are so sincere and I swallow at his raw emotion.

I sigh and hold him once more. Not wanting to speak and ruin this moment between us. The feel of his strong arms around me and the comforting beat of his heart.

I'm glad he didn't sleep with her Hannah. But it doesn't change anything, even if I wanted it too. He's still engaged and I'm still Nova Anderson a poor person living in a wealthy household.

*****
I get to bed when the sun starts to come up. I'm exhausted but adrenaline is pumping through my body, making me feel jittery.

I've Just witnessed a baby being born. I watched Xavier bring new life into the world.
And he didn't have sex with Hannah.
Today is Saturday and I don't have to work at the clinic today, which is a relief because I know I need sleep even if my mind doesn't want to.

I pick up my battered copy of Little Women and read a few chapters, I'm at the part of Meg at the ball when my eyes start to close. My body finally relaxed enough to feel heavy.
Dreams of Xavier fill my mind as I drift off to sleep.

******

"Nova, wake up."

I hear someone say my name but I'm still so tired. Xavier is dancing with me and I'm so happy, so very happy.

"Miss Nova you need to wake up."

I feel a light shake of my shoulder and my eyes open slowly. I see Angeles's face hovering above me and I sit up so quickly that I feel a painful bang to my forehead, with confusion I realise I've just bumped heads with Angeles.
I clutch my head as Angeles grabs hers and we both say "Ouch." At the same time and both laugh.

"That's one way to be woken up." I state still laughing. Rubbing my head and hoping it won't bruise.

"You're the one that bolted upright so quickly, I'm lucky I still have my teeth." Angeles shoots back in a fit of giggles.

I love watching Angeles laugh, her face lights up like a newly lit fire and it makes everything wrong in the world right for just a minute.
He both sigh finishing our giggles.

"What time is it?" I look to the window and its bright for November.

"Just after twelve, Dr Laywood asked that we not be woken any earlier due to last night." She says with a yawn.

Memories of Anne in labour and baby Matthew swirl into my mind. Then Hannah in Xaviers shirt and Xavier hitting the dining room table with his fists. The look of pure devastation and anger replays in my mind. How I'm sure he's still upset with himself for what Anne has become.
Then he told me he didn't sleep with Hannah.
And I smile.
But it's bittersweet.
Poor Anne, selling her body. How broken Xavier was about it all.
What will she do now she has a newborn, and where will she go?

"Earth to Nova, are you there?" Angeles clicks her fingers in front of my face and I look to her with a smile.

"Sorry."

"Did you hear what I said? Mr Laywood wants us down in the drawing room in about half an hour so we best get you ready." She says walking over to my wardrobe.