Chapter 15

After I wash the last two days off my skin, I start to feel better. The rag over my face helps to cool me down. Looking back in the metal bowl I realise the water is stained red. I'm not sure how much was my blood I've washed off or was Mr Jenkins.

My bandages on my arm are a dark reddish-brown. But I leave them on as my stomach isn't strong enough to look at the wounds just yet.

"We really need to get your wounds looked at again. I don't like the colour of the bandage here." Angeles says while inspecting my arm.
"Maybe we should take you to the clinic after breakfast." She asks as a question.

"Do you not need to go to the clinic today?" I ask Angeles.

"No am I meant to?" She asks worriedly.

"Well didn't Mr laywood mention a healthcare check for new Employees?" But visions of her having the same healthcare check and examination makes me feel sick. They wouldn't do the same for her, she's only a child. She can't be more than fifteen.

"No Mr Laywood didn't mention a Healthcare check, nor anyone else. Besides I'm as healthy as a horse." She grins.

I let Angeles pick out a dress for me to wear, I'm not in the mood after yesterday's events. She goes with the powder blue, that she looks adoringly at.
I will definitely let her try my dresses on at some point. I know it will make her happy.
In my mind I can see her twirling in a long floaty dress, laughing so happily.

Soon we are walking down the Cherry Wood staircase, and my stomach is in knots. My head is still pounding and I feel hot. I can feel my forehead getting sweaty. Just nerves, I tell myself.
Breathe.

I walk a gawping Angeles through the Drawing room, Then the living room with the Grand Piano and finally to the Dining room.
I can see Mr Laywood and Xavier sitting down at the table focused in conversation.
They don't look up as we walk in.
That is until Angeles bouncing on her feet, peers over my shoulder excitedly. Then with horror, trips on her shoe falls straight into the room face first. Her arms outstretched trying to catch herself. But they land flat on the floor in a praising position with her bum in the air, and a big thud.

Oh My God.
What just happened.

I look up to both Mr Laywood and Xavier's horrified open-mouthed expressions. They immediately get up, scraping their chairs and rushing over. Just as I bend down to poor Angeles on the floor. She curls herself into a ball and hides her face. I can hear a noise like she's crying.
"Angeles are you okay?" I ask on the verge of tears looking at her.
She must be so embarrassed.

Mr Laywood and Xavier bend down beside to face Angeles. I look to Xavier and he observes her then looks up and meets my eyes. Then he swallows a laugh and disguises it as a cough.
I give him an angry look, he should be concerned not laughing at her misfortune.

"Angeles my dear, are you okay?" Mr Laywood asks. His sincerity in his voice is warming.

"let's get her up," I say, and go to gently touch her arm, but the noise she's making increases. Her poor body is shaking with the sound.
"Maybe she hurt herself?" I ask Xavier as he's looking down at her, and his mouth is holding back from laughing.

"Don't laugh at her!" I say rather loudly. But Xavier rolls his eyes and slowly pulls her hand off her face like he knows something and wants to show me.

Instantly her laughs are audible. Deep belly laughs echo around the room. She is laughing so hard her body is shaking and tears are running down from her eyes.
I hear a snigger of laughter and know that Xavier can't keep it in any longer as he joins her. His laughter mixes with Angeles, who looks to me. My shocked face just makes her laugh even more till she's choking on her breath.
Even Mr Laywood looks amused.