Chapter 6

As I run back to my room the words he said are echoing in my ears.
He would at least pay sixty pounds for me?
What is that meant to mean?
My stomach swirls with anger and frustration. Why does he have to be so horrible to me? With his taunting and rude comments.

But he's confused as to why I'm here like I am. Mr Laywood bought me like I was an object. Brought me here to his estate on the expectations that I would be a kitchen maid. Yet I've been given a beautiful room, provided expensive dresses and treated like a woman of fortune rather than a pauper.

I don't know why Mr laywood would go to this much trouble, I am nothing to him. Yet he's given me everything these past few days.

I throw myself back on my bed with frustration and realise I'm laying on something hard.

I turn on my side and pull what it is I've laid on. To my surprise, I pick up a package wrapped in brown paper, underneath is an envelope with my name written on the front.
What is this?
I open the envelope slowly, admiring the thickness of the paper as I pull out the letter.

Nova my dear,

I wanted you to have this. I hope the subject matter interests you. If you would like to view the gardens afterwards, then please take an escort with you.
Kind regards
Robert Laywood

The gardens?

That is an unusual thing to write in the letter.
I hadn't seen any gardens on the estate so far. But I haven't looked around much, wanting to stay in my room for most of my time here.
I go to open the package but get interrupted by a knock on the door.

I walk to open it thinking it will be Trudy, but to my shock it's Xavier.

I look at him expectantly, still annoyed at him, and he clears his throat.

"I've come to apologise for my behaviour, I realise that this is as confusing to you as it is to myself, and I shouldn't have said those things to you. It wasn't my intention to upset you and make you appear ungrateful." He says with honesty behind his words.
But he continues,
"As we will be working alongside each other I don't want there to be any awkwardness between us, I realise you are young and I'm a lot older than you, so I should be the first to make amends." He holds out his hand for me to shake expectantly.

I look down at his hand and frown, just because he's older than me doesn't mean he should belittle my age as an excuse for his taunting, then apologise in case my age makes me take his words to heart.

I smile and shake his hand, but can't help the words I say from rolling off my lips.

"I accept your apology, but in the future please understand that my age has nothing to do with the way I reacted, I do still think your an arsehole, but a remorseful one," I say still shaking his hand and smiling innocently at him.

His lips twitch from my words and I can see I've amused him again.

"Now, I best get some rest as I have a busy day ahead of me tomorrow," I state taking my hand away from his.

"Oh indeed, I wouldn't want you to be tired on your first day and it be my fault, I'm sure you need your rest to come up with new names to call me, as I'm hoping the next lot will be more diverse, seeing as I've been called an arsehole many times before and its a little boring now. I look forward to what you have in store for me tomorrow." He says with a tease and watch him turn and enter his bedroom opposite mine, leaving me with my jaw to the floor, in shock.

-

Soon Trudy enters to help me undress, I'm still trying to get the hang of untying my corset and my frustration is showing as she quickly helps me do the rest.