Chapter 40

"Who have you been seeing?"

Xavier asks and his tone is pure jealousy.

"No one!" I shout, his words sobering me up.
"Down to you, your the only person I've ever kissed!"

I see my words have pleased him, and my anger starts to fire again inside of me.

"How dare you! You have no right to be jealous Xavier, I'm not the one with a fiancé inside wondering where you are. The same Fiancé you will be marrying in a matter of weeks! Trudy is helping out with wedding preparations tomorrow!" I yell, but his face is unreadable.

"Wedding preparations?"

"Yes wedding preparations, you know to get married!" My words like acid on my tongue.

"I've spoken to my father and the wedding isn't going to be for a while, there's still things to sort out and he's delaying it." He states coming towards me.
But I take a step back.

"Just because your father is delaying the wedding, doesn't mean I'm yours to toy with in the meantime. I'm moving on Xavier and so should you."

His breath hitches in his throat, showing me he doesn't like that idea.

"You want Toby?" He asks carefully.

But I'm so angry with him, and I just want to hurt him like he's hurt me.

"Yes..yes as a matter of fact I do. I'm not going to be pinning around after you Xavier. You have Cordelia now, which is good because it never would have worked out between us regardless if you are engaged." I say trying to pursuade myself more than him.

He laughs, a throaty laugh like he knows I'm lying.

"I know you don't mean that, you want me as much as I want you. You know you do." He pulls me towards him and I stumble as he catches me in his arms.

"You know I'm the only one who can turn you on, the only one you want to touch you. Admit it." He says through gritted teeth.

But I shake my head, I do want all those things and more but I have to be strong. No matter how much I want to feel him.

"Goodbye Xavier." I say moving out of his clasp.

"I hope Cordelia makes you happy."

"Nova, don't do this!" He shouts after me. Frustration and hurt in his voice.

But I have too.

I walk away and into the noisy Estate, if he really wanted me over Cordelia then I'm sure he could have worked something out with his father. Although I know the Laywoods are big on traditions and I'm sure I don't meet their criteria.
There's no point in even thinking about something so unattainable.

I walk back into the ballroom and spot Toby talking to Angeles and Isaac, they all smile when they see me. Even Toby.
He really is handsome and seems uncomplicated unlike Xavier.
Grabbing Toby by the hand and telling Angeles I will be right back, I pull Toby into the drawing room. He looks confused and slightly nervous but I don't care. I lift my hand to his cheek and kiss him. His lips are startled at first but soon responds to my touch. With every kiss and every taste of his tongue memories of Xavier fade away.
This is what I need. I need Toby to make me forget.
But movement catches my eye and I pull my lips away and see Xavier watching us with pure devastation on his face. I move like I've been caught doing something I shouldn't have.
But Xavier pulls Toby by his waistcoat and it all goes fast and in slow motion at the same time. I watch as Xavier punches Toby hard in the face with such force that he crumples to the ground with a loud thud, completely out cold.