Chapter 11

"You really have outdone yourself this time." Mabel says while clapping.

I look to my mother's journals on her lap and fight the urge to run over and snatch them off her.

Realising what I'm looking at, she holds one of my mother's journals up with a smirk.
She opens it and reads aloud.
"Nova my star, I hope you know how loved you are."
"Clearly your mother wasn't gifted with her poetry." She sniggers.

"Give.them.back.to. me." Anger dripping with every word.

"Or what?" She answers with a laugh.
"You're going to hurt me? Think you already have. Not once, not twice but three times you've dug the knife in my back and I'm just here to return the favour." With that, she rips a page of my mother's journal.

I cry out. "Please don't, I'm sorry I really am. I never meant to hurt you."
I plead with her.

"You have a funny way of showing it. Your like poison, no wonder your father sold you and your mother died. They obviously did everything they could to get away from you!" Her words like acid.
"Oh and the best bit, Mr Laywood took pity on you, because your father was going to sell you to a Whorehouse!"

What? What did she say?

"So he brought you here to ruin all our lives." Her face is seething, and getting redder by every second.
"If only Mr Laywood didn't interfere, you would be on your back right now doing the only thing your kind is good for!"--

"THAT'S enough Mabel!" Trudy enters with anger on her face.
"Leave Nova alone and go downstairs, she's been through enough tonight." Her voice has an edge.
But Mabel is too far gone to do what Trudy is saying.

"Why do you always defend her! Look what happened to Mr Jenkins! It's all her fault! Everything! Stop protecting her, all she's done is destroy everything she's touched! She's toxic!" And with that, she chucks my mothers journals into the fire. I scream and try to get them out, burning my hands in the process. I manage to get them out before Mabel pulls my hair by the root pulling painfully on the stitches and slams my head into the fireplace.
My vision goes black for a second, before I pull myself away, and with an angry scream eurupting from my chest, I launch for her knocking her backwards as she brings me down with her. I grab her head and slam it down onto the hard floor and she cries in pain.

"Get off me!" She screams.
I feel Trudy pulling my shoulder trying to get me off Mabel, but I'm far too gone is my hatred and anger, that I don't move. But Mabel is stronger than she looks and rolls me over so I'm on my back and she's on top of me, slapping me hard across the face.
I see Trudy lift her up off me and her arms and legs are scrambling.

"Trudy if it wasn't for her, Mr Jenkins would still be alive!" Her voice is like a high pitched shrill, and it stabs like an ice pick to my brain.

"I know." She shouts back, "Don't you think I don't know that! But this isn't right Mabel!"
Her answer has shocked me more than anything.
She blames me for Mr Travers death.
A sob escapes my lips as I look at her, but she's still trying to pull Mabel away from me.

"You loved Mr Jenkins! And he's dead Trudy, you will never get him back! And Xavier is at the police station, probably being charged for murder and you're pulling me off her!" I can tell she's losing her voice from all the shouting and crying.

"But yet you keep defending her! Let me go! I'm going to kill her!" She scrambles in Trudy's arms once more and gives me another seething look.
I'm so silent and still watching them with more tears than I thought possible running down my face.

"I can't let you hit her Mabel, no matter what part she's had in all of this." Trudy's voice breaks and her lips wobble.

"Why not!" Mabel is snarling now and she reminds me of a wild animal.

"Because... Because." Trudy chokes on her own sobs.

"Because of WHAT?" Mabel screams.

"Because she's my Niece!" Trudy shouts, then sobs. "Shes my niece." Her voice breaking through the thick tears choking her throat.

We both look to her with shocked expressions.
She holds a hand over her mouth and takes a deep breath.

"I'm Nova's Aunt." Her voice barely a whisper.

"Her mother was my sister."