35. Telling Truth's

I kept watching Tsu'tey as subtly as I could while the Yerik cooked over the fire. To say the smell was absolutely amazing would be an understatement. We managed to carry the Yerik to a nice defensible clearing, where Tsu'tey proceeded to show me how to set up a very unique fire that burns mostly on some sort of honey like liquid mixed with specific leaves. It cooks food faster than fire with the added bonus of not being too bright and, apparently, gives the meat a nice taste.

I was curious. I have never in my life eaten anything meat wise other than fish, and fish is different from actual meat. I'm sure not a single human left even knows what the taste of actual meat is like.

So this will be a new experience. I wouldn't be surprised if those jerky algae bars I ate back in Hell's Gate are not anywhere near to the same taste of actual meat.

I tilted my head, watching more fat drip off the meat and into the fire both in disgust and curiosity.

"You stare at yerik food like unknown." Tsu'tey said, but he didn't growl it or call me Dumb Twig. I really am a bit concerned for the Na'vi warrior now.

I studied him for a second, sitting on the other side of the fire with a stick in hand, poking the flaming mix around to keep it releasing heat, his eyes, green in the blue light of night, focused on the small blue flames.

He looked up at me, not even glaring at me, though his face remains unreadable. Seriously, where did the Tsu'tey I know go?

I blinked and looked away, thinking. That felt... funny, when he looked me in the eyes. I was worried about him but now I wonder if I should be worried about me. What was that?

"Errr..." I took a moment to orient my thoughts, "I have never eaten any other meat than fish. It is all my clan lived off. We had thousands of recipes for fish and it, and homemade bread, were all we ever ate. So this will be a new experience for me, especially since fish doesn't look like that cooking." I said, pointing to more dripping fat into the blue flames.

He blinked at me, face still unreadable.

"You eat only fish? Is that why so enjoy utumauti so much?" He said, speaking of the banana like fruit that I often wondered if it tastes like bananas. I have no clue, as bananas burned away in the fires, every last one of them.

I smiled, drawing with a stick in the dirt.

"I mean, there is rough bread, made from the large safely kept stores of grains under TULTE. We eat it only five times a year and try, every year, to replant it but..." I frowned at the stick in my hand, "Well, Earth's air isn't what it used to be. Wheat cannot stand to grow in it for more than a month, so we don't get much grain from it. Wheat isn't a fruit either.... I don't really know how to describe wheat. It's just a food. But no, no fruit's either." I said, drawing the five peaks of TULTE, before drawing the arching valley and hills through the center, all the way up to the recycled huts and large pins for the Plankton Plantations and Fish Breeding areas, also made from recycled materials.

I carefully drew the final tree, nestled up near the back mountains, the final tree to survive the tsunami.

I looked up when I realised Tsu'tey had not replied. He was peering around the fire at my drawing, studying the drawing in the dirt.

"Your home?" He asked.

I stood down and left homesickness hit me once more, my mood for having finish my hunt dropped.

"My Home." I said quietly, drawing one tiny curve with an even smaller curve for the door. My hut, but I am sure someone else lives there now. No material goes to waste in TULTE. Including huts.