89. Giving All I Am

"Tsu'tey?" I breathed, worried as I reached out and carefully cupped his face, my other hand reaching out to his wrist and checking his pulse, my mind filled with worry as I noticed how weak and thready it was. I looked around frantically, breathing fast until I spotted giant leafy plants perfect for wrapping wounds, standing quickly and racing over to them, pulling out my knife and cutting a few free before racing back to Tsu'tey, placing my hands over the worst of the ones bleeding from his chest, frantically trying to think of way to tie these leaves in place as I looked around at what I had around me. I carefully stepped around Tsu'tey to avoid his broken leg.

"Don't try... Heti...." I heard Tsu'tey said, his voice so faint I barely picked it up as I looked down at him with worry. His eyes were just barely open and swimming with pain as he stared up at me.

"Tsu'tey? Why?! I can... I can save you... you just... you got to hold on!" I said, my voice choked with rising tears as I nearly shouted in my worry. I reached out with my knife as cut free some of the thick vines hanging from the tree Tsu'tey is leaning against, a hole in the canopy above giving me enough light to see the extent of his injuries. The bullets to the chest were my main worry, his leg, upon closer inspection, doesn't seem as bad as I first assumed. The bone has clearly a clean break down near his ankle. Landed on it maybe? I examined the six bullet holes, each filling me with even more worry. Four of them seemed not too beep, possibly hit a rip and Na'vi bones are made to withstand a lot more than bullets. The other two however.... as I inspected them, I grew increasingly more worried that they went between ribs, maybe even into his stomach. He could have internal bleeding.

"Can't see.... Eywa... No longer.... See...." Tsu'tey said, coughing weakly. My eyes widened in horror at the blood that dribbled from his lips, my breathing speeding in fear as I realized he did have internal bleeding, that one of those very bullets had punctured a lung. It must not be a large hole or else I wouldn't have found Tsu'tey alive, but it is enough that one of his lungs is clearly slowly filling up with blood.

Then his words registered in my head and I remembered the worry that my bow did not stop Wainfleet in time. Frantically I felt along Tsu'tey's neck, not at all bothered by doing something possibly improper if I can save Tsu'tey's life.  I followed his braid as Tsu'tey eyes closed tight, his teeth gritted as he growled in pain.

I lifted his braid and felt tears begin running down my cheeks as I stared at the butchered look of it. I didn't stop Wainfleet in time, I didn't save Tsu'tey from that pain... I glanced up at Tsu'tey with eyes overflowing with tears. I knew that I could save Tsu'tey, if I got him to The Tree of Souls were I stashed the backpack of avatar medical gear, but at what cost? Tsu'tey can't See Eywa anymore, he can never connect with the land again or find a mate. Would it really be a life he enjoys?

I closed my eyes tight, my breath stuttering in pain. Oh, this is worse than watching him fall from the Shuttle. Seeing him dying before me, knowing I could save him... But also knowing he would never be whole again. I fought down sobs as I blinked open my eyes, breathing heavily from the pain for what I had to choose as I carefully, gently put his braid back on the ground as Tsu'tey moaned quietly in pain.

I moved to his side, leaning against the tree as I carefully wrapped my arms around him, not touching his worst wounds as I laid my head on his shoulder, tears running non stop down my cheeks as I fought to control my pain. I can't... I can't send him out in a traditional Na'vi way, where I end his pain.... That would haunt me forever, I just... I couldn't. I closed my eyes and just began to talk...

About us.

"Did you..." I sniffled, rubbing my nose as struggling for a moment before speaking once more in a wobbly voice full of pain, "Did you know that... when we first met, I thought you a prideful ass? You seemed to hold little care for things and I haven't forgotten you trying to kill me by abandoning me out away from Hometree." I said weakly in a joke, choking back a sob as I breathed carefully for a moment, rubbing my nose before speaking once more. Though Tsu'tey didn't make a sound, I knew he was listening by how his head slowly rested on top of mine.