44: Figures

I drove to the studio that Maggie told me to, and it wasn't one that I recognized. She told me it was one of the few that the boys use. Brandon practically lived here apparently. We walked in and i saw a pretty big room with a huge table just full of switches and buttons. B was sitting in the chair up next to the table with a mic set up next to him.

"hey ladies" he says, looking up for a split second then looking back at his laptop.

"hey" I say as I sit down on the couch that was in there as well. Maggie went over to Brandon and leaned on his chair. They started whispering in each other's ear and just giggling. I heard one comment that B told her a little too loud, that i didn't want to hear.

"alright guys i'm still here" i say.

"y/n had some lyrics and keys she wanted to try out" Maggie told Brandon, laughing.

"i never said i wanted to try them out, you dragged me here" i joked.

"whatever whatever just show B"

I got out my notes as he started playing a few things that soon made a pretty fitting beat. I couldn't tell you how he did it all. He just clicked stuff and after about 5 minutes, out came a perfect backtrack for the lyrics.

"aight listen to this, y/n" he said as he restarted his work and began playing it. It was simple, yet fitting.

"that's literally perfect, wow" i said.

"i try", the same door we came in opened up. Zion, Nick and Edwin came in. We all said hello as Z and Ed sat on the couch. Nick walked over to Maggie, B and I and stood next to me, looking at Brandon's lap top.

"if you don't mind me asking, who is this song about, y/n?" B asked, looking at me.

"just an ex" i say, simply.

"damn i like this beat." Nick said. "whats that for?"

"y/n" B responded.

"you gonna record somethin?" Nick asked me.

"i guess i am now" i laughed.

"Do you know how to use the mic and shit?" B asked me.

"nope."

"i'll help, c'mere." Nick said as I followed him to the mic set up. "so, you're going wear only one headphone, so you can hear yourself..." he explained the basics of what to do.

"you got all that?" he said after.

"i think so" i said before taking a deep breath.

"are you good?"

"yeah just nervous" i said. "it's kind of a personal song or whatever" i say.

"you're gonna do great" he says, grinning at me. He leaned in a little closer to whisper to me. "also, have i told you how good you look today?"

I was just smiling, about to respond, until B came over my headphones.

"get a room" B said.

"you're one to talk" i joke back.

Nick laughed, too, before walking and sitting on the couch as well. B asked if I was ready to go and I told him yes. This reminded me of when I was in the recording studio with Maggie and her friend. That had been the only other time I had been in a real studio. I heard the music play, just like before and began singing.
(song: Figures - Jessie Reyes)

figures,
i gave you ride or die
and you gave me games, love
figures,
i know i'm crying
cause you just won't change, love
figures,
i gave it all
and you gave me shit, love
figures,
i wish i could do exactly what you did

i wish i could hurt you back
love, what would you do
if you couldn't get me back

you're the one who's gonna lose
something so special
something so real
tell me boy
how in the fuck would you feel
if you couldn't get me back
that's what i wish that i could do
to you, you, you, love
to you, you, you

I finished singing the song after the whole 3 minutes. It felt like the longest 3 minutes ever. I was trying not to cry, just because the song hit close, but once I was done, I could see everyone paying attention to me.

"that was so fucking good" Z told me.

"yes literally, girl, I knew it was a good idea coming."  maggie added.

"thank youuu" i chuckled. I walked over to Brandon on his laptop and sat in a chair next to him. He cut stuff around and put it all together. We listened back to it after that. I sort of hated hearing my voice because it sounded so much different than what I hear. I thought it sounded just like I wanted it, too.

"that's fyeee" B said.

"it sounds amazing, y/n" Nick said as he came behind me and leaned over into the back of the chair i was sitting in. I looked up and just smiled back him. I looked back at the screen and I felt emotion just hit me. I guess seeing Nick just was a lot after thinking of the song. I got up and walked out the back door. As soon as I stepped outside and walked further into the backyard, I wrapped my arms around each other. It was a nice place that had a beautiful overlook of the city. The bright lights from LA covered the view. I could see the sun going down as a sunset painted over the whole  sky. I just stood at the edge of the overlook as I calmed down. I suddenly heard the door i had just came out of open and close. I turned around for a second to see Nick. I fixed my gaze back on the view as I saw out of the corner of my eye, him walking up next to me.

"you okay?" He said after a little.

"yeah, I just...needed fresh air"

"the songs about Dylan, isn't it"

I didn't answer right away. I turned to look up at him, as he was already looking at me. He looked almost sad, like he was worried. I just nodded my head up and down as I looked back forward, again.

"I started writing it a few weeks ago, but couldn't finish it." i said.

"what about now?"

"...now i can finish it"