31: Father

Today was the day my mom was going back home to Texas. We had spent all day just having a girls spa day. We got our nails done and got a facial. We even got a massage after all of that, too. It was a well needed day, free of distractions and worries. I could relax really well. My mom also came at a perfect time, since I didn't have class the days she came to visit.

I was on the way to the airport now. I was super tired from the relaxation day and so was my mom, so Nick offered to drive us there. I was in the front seat with my mom in the back. When we pulled up to the drop off area, we all got out of the car. Nick popped the trunk and grabbed my moms bag for her. We all were standing to beside the car as we said goodbye. I hugged my mom tightly for a long time.

"bye mom, i love you"

"love you too sweetie"

After i let go, my mom stepped to Nick and gave him a hug as well. It seemed like she was tearing up a little.

"You take care of y/n for me" my mom said to Nick as she pulled away.

"always" he said with a smile.

My mom took a deep breath and said goodbye one last time before walking thought the doors. I watched her walk in as I felt Nicks touch my shoulder.

"you okay?"

"yeah just gonna miss her"

I got into the passenger seat again as Nick got in, too, and drove off. We were just listening to some random r&b music as I looked out the window. This went on for awhile before the music turned down a little.

"so, theres your oldest sister, Kate, and your middle sister, Lee, right?" he asked as he tried to look at me.

"yeah yeah Kate is still in Texas with her husband, but Lee is in Atlanta going to college."

"ohh...well what about your dad?" Nick asked slowly, almost being able to tell theres a story behind it. I didn't really say anything for a second, thinking about what to say. I was surprised he asked. No one in LA knew about my dads whole story. Nessa and Court knew some and Zion knew a little, too.

"uhh"

"you don't have to talk about it, i don't like talking bout my dad" Nick said.

"I just...don't tell many people about it." I say and turn to look at him. We pulled up to a red light as i finished speaking.  Nick looked back at me with longing eyes.

"You can trust me, y/n" he said as he nodded his head slightly. We looked at each other for a few seconds more, but the light turned green quickly, and made Nick look away.

I was trying. I was trying so hard to trust Nick, but it wasn't easy. When I see him with another girl every other night, it just puts us back at square one. No matter how often I think i may have feelings for him, he always does something to make me question it. I know I shouldn't try and force something that almost seemed like its not meant to be. It was going to be tough, but I had to take a leap of faith. I had to tell him.

"Whenever I was 11, one night I was staying the night at my friends house and her mom called me into the kitchen. She told me basically that she had to give me a ride to the hospital because my mom called." i stopped and sighed, hesitating on finishing. "uhm and i got there and my friends mom dropped me off with my mom and sisters. All i remember is that my mom was crying a lot and wasn't telling us anything until the doctor led us to a room and....and it was my dads room....but it wasn't a hospital bed it was uhm it was a morgue table. A metal table with a bag covering him..." I started fiddling with my rings on my hands and looking down. "He made the decision that night to get in a vehicle while he was drunk...He t-boned another car and killed the 18 year old boy who was in it, also killing himself in the meantime" I looked up from my hands to see that we were in my drive way now. I turned and looked at Nick who had his head down with teared up eyes.

"y/n, i am so sorry." He looked up at me once he finished speaking. Seeing him tearing up and seeing him genuinely sad made me feel a rush of emotion. I tried not to, but I started crying. I looked down again and shook my head until I felt Nicks arms wrap around me. That is exactly what I needed right now, so I quickly put my arms around his neck. I was sobbing into his shoulder as he rubbed his hand on my back. All of this emotion had been built up for awhile now. I've never told the story like that before. i have always kept the story to about 10 words with other people. I don't know it just felt like i needed to tell him all of it.

After a minute or two of crying in his arms , I began to stop crying and rested my head on his shoulder as our hands found each other and interlocked. After I finished catching my breath, I looked up at Nick again. "i'm sorry, you probably didn't want me to say all that" i said.

"no no don't be sorry, y/n. i appreciate you telling me. for real. you did nothing wrong."

I nodded slightly as he leaned in and kissed my forehead with a peck. "lemme walk you to your door" he said quietly. I took a deep breath while nodding my head. I stepped out of the car. We reached my door as I turned to face Nick.

"you gonna be okay?" he asked.

"yeah, i'm good."

"alright, goodnight y/n" Nick said as he turned around, about to walk down my steps.

"wait" i said, making him turn around, waiting for me to finish. "can you stay the night?"

"yeah of course"

"but...not like to do stuff. I mean just sleep." i tell him as he walks to me again.

"i wasn't planning on doing more"

I turn around and opened my door to an empty house with a note on the front table. 'at emmets again' I showed Nick quickly and threw it away. We then walked down the hall and into my room. Nick laid down on the bed while I changed into shorts. I then turned off the lights got on my side of the bed. I was facing Nick and noticed he was looking all around my face and hair.

"what?" i chuckle.

"just....looking at you"

He then put his arm out for me to snuggle up onto his chest. After I got settled he began messing with my hair. It felt amazing. As i was just about to fall into a deep sleep, I was awoken a little by Nick saying something.

"i like you a lot, y/n"