52: Fair

"Alexys...i didn't know you were in LA!" Nick says as all I do is try to act natural.

"Hey! yeah, i'm here for a little." she replied, just as equally awkward as everyone else watching this encounter. There was a second or two of just silence throughout the group as we all looked at one another. To be honest, I was waiting on Nick to introduce me to her. I didn't want to come off bitchy as a first impression and introduce myself as "nicks new girlfriend." Maybe if i wanted to be petty, then i'd do that.

"Oh, Alexys, this is y/n." Zion finally broke the silence. I was not expecting it to be Zion, but i felt so relieved.

"I guess we haven't met, haha!" I say as I hold out my hand.

"i guess not, we'll nice to meet you, y/n" Alexys says back to me. She seemed nice, but she definitely picked up on Nick and I walking up together. After having conversation for a few minutes, I nudged Zion with my elbow. He looked down at me as I whispered "thank you"; referring to him saving the awkwardness. He just smiled, nodded, and went back to the conversation.

"I really wish I could stay longer, but I think we're actually gonna head out a little early." Alexys said before her and her friends walked away. A couple of us waved as they went out of sight.

"what the hell" Brandon says as soon as they're out of sight.

"I forgot she existed" Haley added.

I looked at Nick and saw he was just staring off in the distance, he was out of it. I didn't know how I should handle this situation. I was low key mad that he just stood there when almost everyone was expecting him to introduce me. Then again, I don't know the story between them two except for the small details that Zion told me that one night. I know that they didn't end well, but it seemed they were fine when they just saw one another. I wasn't threatened by her, but should I be?

"y/n! Earth to y/n!" Zion said as I looked at him directly in front of my face.

"uh yeah yeah what's up" i reply.

"we're trying to figure out where to eat. u wanna go somewhere?"

"no, i'm really fine with whatever."

"lets just get chick-fil-a" Haley said. Most everyone agreed. We began to exit the venue, I felt Nick grab my arm and stop me from walking.

"can we stay back a second?" He said quietly.

"everyone is already almost to the cars, Nick" I say as he looked ahead to see our friends pretty far gone.

"can we ride alone- like to wherever we're eating?"

I thought about it for a second, but i had to let him talk to me about what just happened.

"yeah, sure" i told him. We caught up with everyone else and i got into the passenger seat of my car and reached over to turn it on. The headlights flashed on as I saw Nick talking to Austin and Zion. It seemed like he was asking if we could ride alone. I discretely watched as Austin nodded up and down before Nick started walking towards the driver side of my car. I quickly looked down at my phone before the door opened and then closed.

"We're just gonna follow them to get food" He said. I saw he was looking at me, but I just kept scrolling on my phone.

"okay" i said back.

The car ride was quiet for the first minute or
two. I didn't know how I felt about what happened or where I thought this would go, so I didn't know what to say.

"I didn't know she would be there" Nick finally said, breaking the silence. "I didn't even know she was in town"

"I know" I replied. There was a long pause. "You never told me about her, you know"

"huh?" he said back.

"You never told me about Alexys very much. I knew about her from Zion telling me."

"Well, I guess I didn't think it was necessary"

"It seems pretty necessary now, considering I just met her" I said with a little attitude. There was another short silence. All we heard was traffic from the cars around us and some Brent Faiyaz song on low volume on the radio. I looked up and saw we were pulling into the chick-fil-a parking lot. I turned off my phone as Nick shifted the car to park.

"We met in highschool, senior year. We dated for the year and then she went to Miami for college and I came here for the band. We tried long distance but that obviously didn't work. It never does. Long distance takes effort from both people and it just felt like only I was trying. It was always me paying for the flight down to visit her, never her coming to see me. I started getting my suspicions that she was cheating on me. With all the stress of a one sided relationship, I ended things. It ended pretty bad and we have talked here and there but not for awhile, not until tonight." Nick kept his eyes on me as I sat in thought. "I'm sorry we had to see her like that, I know it wasn't great for you"

"no i'm sorry I had an attitude, you were just as surprised as I was." I said, meeting his eyes.

"don't be worried about her, baby. She has friends up here, she's just visiting them." he reassured me.

"Is it just me or was it extremely awkward when we saw her?" I said and laughed.

"No, yeah i'm sure everyone noticed" he replied laughing, too, grabbing my hand and holding onto it. Our laughs faded as we locked eyes again. "Were good"

"we're good, don't worry" i said. He leaned in as we had a quick kiss before exiting the car. We met up with everyone else in line inside. Zion looked at me and I could tell he was trying to talk to me.

"You okay?" he mouthed silently. I nodded my head up and down and smiled.

"Thank you"

—————

thank u for the constant support throughout this writing.
i hate to leave you like this, but i encourage you to make your own ending 🥺

i love you guys, each and every one of y'all reading this matter 🤍✨