Chapter 7

THREE WEEKS LATER/ NATASHA'S POV:
~~~~~~~~
(Y/n) walks to the kitchen, flashing a tired smile at me and Tony. "What's up?" I ask, confused. "Nothing much, why?" Tony and I exchange a glance and we both look back at her. "It's 5:00 AM," Tony states, and (y/n)'s eyes widen slightly. "Really?" She dashes to a window, seeing the still-dark sky. She presses her palms to the glass, and I hear her mutter something along the lines of, "Dang it." I can see her muscles tense as she looks outside, then suddenly relax. She turns around, shrugging, and goes to the sink to get a glass of water. She then sits down at the table with me and Tony, resting her head on her elbows and sometimes joining in on our conversation. I take a look outside at the half-moon, wondering what it was that seemed to agitate her. I constantly glance at her, worriedly.

Her eyes hold fear.

SIX DAYS LATER
~~~~~~~~
I stare down into my mug of coffee, knee bobbing up and down. When (y/n) doesn't come down in the next few hours, I can't help the feeling of dread that passes through me. She's been skittish the whole week: retreating back into her shell, keeping her eyes focused on her feet, very rarely speaking up, and her tired eyes being extremely noticeable. I know that she isn't getting much sleep-- and I don't want to pressure her-- but I can't do anything other than worry. I sigh, pushing my chair back as I stand up, walking to her room.

I knock on the door lightly, getting no response. "(Y/n)? Are you awake?" I wait, getting ready to open the door when a cough comes from the other side. "Yeah," her voice sounds from the other end of the door, croaky and rough. "Are you okay? You sound sick, do you need me to bring you anything?" "NO!"

I widen my eyes at the seemingly desperate tone. "No, thanks, I'm fine, just... just please don't come in. I'm not feeling the best, and I just don't want to infect you."

"(Y/n)," I start, sighing, "you know I don't-" "Please."

Her weak and pleading tone makes me cave, and I take my hand off the doorknob. "Okay, just... just let me know if you need anything."

I step away, my thoughts racing.

Something about her "sickly" voice just keeps tugging at my mind.

It was forced.

THAT NIGHT
~~~~~~~~
Scratching. "Do you guys hear that?" I ask, all the Avengers looking in its direction with confusion plain on their features. And then... whimpering. A small cry mixed with a nearly guttural sound follows.

"(Y/n)!" I race to her room, everyone tailing close behind. I throw open her door, gasping and being yanked back by everyone when we see what it is.

I hold my arms out in front of them, protectively, breathing heavily.

"Holy shit."