Chapter 31

YOUR POV:
~~~~~~~~
"I'm your what now?" I ask, eyes wide. "Our alpha," the green-eyed boy in front of me repeats, "We've been waiting for you." I step back, shaking my head. "No, I-I can't be your alpha, that's not possible."

"When did you first transform?" A short, blonde girl asks me, stepping forward a bit.

"When I was about four years old?"

The pack shares a knowing glance, and a boy with the tips of his hair dyed blue speaks up:

"When were you able to control it?"

"Close to a year ago, when I was fourteen."

"Do you feel anything when I do this?"

I furrow my eyebrows and tilt my head at the last girl who has beautiful dark skin, hair to match, and a hint of a Nigerian accent that laces her words. She picks up a stick from the ground and before I can stop her, she slices a small cut along her palm.

At the same time, a dull throbbing comes from my own, and I look down at it. "What the hell?" I mutter, taken aback when everything looks fine, and the dark-haired boy in front of me speaks up.

"Who do you get your wolf side from?" he asks.

"My dad."

"That settles it." "What settles what?" I exclaim, confused and slightly irritated that I have no idea as to what is going on.

"There are three other half-wolves in our pack. Me," he points to himself, "Lillian," the blonde girl, "and Ben," a boy with neatly-cut, light brown hair. "We have it because of our mothers. Yours is because of your father. This makes you a stronger and more able wolf in many aspects." "Didn't know nature was sexist," I mutter, making most of the teens in the group chuckle, and the boy raises an eyebrow, a half-smile on his face.

"Exactly. Anyway, we all began shifting much later than you, at around ages ten to twelve. We were all able to control it at ages fifteen or sixteen- well, we're not too sure for Lillian yet. We currently shift at the full moon, but when I sensed a strong wolf's presence and went to your place at night, I saw that you didn't. Your eyes, too. It is said that alphas all have a metallic eye shade when they shift, and it does what yours just did when they first find or create their packs. The pulse and then steady glow. And finally, an alpha will always know when a member is in trouble; they get a sensation of sorts. Hence the feeling in your hand after Aliyah cut her own. Therefore, you're an alpha, and the alpha of our pack."

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion, "I'm not even from this area." The boy shrugs, "It doesn't matter. Fate somehow brought you here, and this could just prove why."

I run a hand through my hair, taking a deep breath. "Holy shi...," my voice comes out as a whisper as I trail off, seeing the younger pack members, "...itake mushrooms." The boy in front of me lets out a chuckle, and I start to feel slightly faint as I process the information.

"Hey, it's okay to be overwhelmed," Lillian says, walking over to me and placing her hand on my shoulder. She looks at me with kind eyes, a comforting smile on her face. "We can talk about all of it if that would make you feel more comfortable."

I look at everyone in the pack-- my pack-- and see that they're all willing to help. "Sure," I say, giving Lillian a small smile.

ONE HOUR LATER
~~~~~~~~
I look around the circle, resting my elbows on my knees. Dylan, a boy with blonde hair and round glasses managed to make a small fire, and Anna— a petite redhead with green eyes, Connor— the boy with the tips of his black hair dyed blue, Ben— the other half-wolf, and a few others in the pack managed to find some logs to sit on. In the meantime, I spoke with Jackson— the green-eyed, brown-haired boy who has been acting as alpha in my absence.