Chapter 37

YOUR POV:
~~~~~~~~
I softly open the door to the facility, unable to stop smiling. The feel of Jackson's kiss keeps replaying in my head, and I can still feel the warmth from when he held me close to him. I look down, grinning, and chuckle slightly as I shake my head, knowing that I'm being silly. Just as I look up, the lights flick on, my smile being wiped from my face.

I look at Tony, standing by the light switch as he crosses his arms, anger written all over his features. "And where the hell were you?"

"Um-"

"All night, (y/n)! You disappear for the whole night, all by yourself, and you don't even leave a note? Do you know how worried I was?"

"I can explai-"

"I swear, I think you just worsened my anxiety. You know I didn't sleep all night when I was trying to track you? That was all I did for twelve hours. What were you thinking?!"

My stomach drops as I take in the dark circles under his eyes and his disheveled state. "I'm sorry," I say, stepping over to him. His face scrunches up in pain, worry, and relief as he opens up his arms. I give him a hug, which he immediately returns. He takes a deep breath, tightening his grip as he rests his head on my own.

"You can't do that to me," he whispers, voice choked up and breaking at the end. I can feel my heart split at the tone, knowing that I made him worry far too much.

And more than once, too.

What about when I was careless and accidentally blew up chemicals in the lab, making him rush in and immediately check and see if I was hurt? When I decided to sneak into one of his suits and the repulsors went haywire? When a glass shattered on the floor, horribly slicing my foot, and I didn't tell anyone? Or every night I left the facility as Eclipse, putting myself in danger?

'I don't care about the lab, as long as you're okay.'

'It's alright, I'm not mad. Just let me be here next time so I know you won't get in harm's way.'

'It hurts me when you're in pain. Please, tell me next time so I can fix it, alright?'

'I just want to make sure that you won't get easily hurt. I want to help you, kid.'

'You can't do that to me.'

Did I ever think about how my actions would affect him? The man who is my only father figure? The man who showed me what family really is?

The only man that I actually love because of all they've done for me?

I didn't.

Why do I always have to be so selfish?

"I'm so sorry," I whisper, tears forming at my self-centeredness. "No, no, don't cry. Please." Tony pulls away, taking my face in his hands and wiping my cheeks with his thumbs. "It's okay, it's okay. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have yelled." I shake my head, "No, you should have yelled. You should've yelled at me every time I put myself in a dangerous situation because I never realized how you or anyone else would be affected."

Tony shakes his head, tears forming in his own eyes. "It hurts me to even get mad at you, (y/n). I love you, okay, kid? I just can't help but worry because I don't want to see you hurt. You're like my daughter, and I don't want to lose you."

Tony kisses the top of my head, kneeling as I fall to the floor and lean into him, hugging him even tighter. I sniffle, holding onto him, hoping that I can make it up to him somehow. For every moment of fear or worry about my wellbeing, I know that I need to do something to show my atonement. Something that's true. Something that I actually and wholeheartedly mean. And not just as an apology.

"I love you, too," I whisper, Tony's arms tightening around me at the words.

I can feel his chest rise and fall as he takes a deep breath, pulling away and placing his hands on my shoulders. "Please, kid, tell me what's going on. Is it about Nat?" I shake my head. "Then what is it? I want to help you, (y/n), and I can't do that if I'm left in the dark. Please."

I inhale shakily and nod, relief passing over his face. We sit down together, and I look at my hands for a bit before I start to explain everything. The movement at my window every full moon, how I snuck out and found the pack, how I learned that I was an alpha, the trips to the library, the note in my biological father's book, and what happened just this night. I even tell him that Jackson kissed me, and Tony immediately gets protective.

I assure him that everything's alright, that it wasn't forced, and that I trust Jackson, otherwise he wouldn't be my beta. He relaxes a bit, apologizing.

But I smile, the gesture making me feel warm inside.

Because the same attitude Tony had when I came home wearing Peter's sweater and just now was one of a father when their daughter is around a boy.

And note how I said 'biological father' earlier.

Because although Tony and I aren't related, he's the only dad I could ever want or need.