Chapter 60

8:30 AM/ YOUR POV:
~~~~~~~~
I yawn, taking a sip of my coffee and resting my head on the kitchen counter. My senses woke me up just after midnight, but not warning me of danger. I hate it, honestly. Constantly on edge, sometimes seeming rude, but never knowing why. I checked in on my pack, and they all said that they were fine but would keep an eye out for anything, so that keeps some of my worries at bay as I head to the living room. But just as I walk through the door, I find out what it is.

I stop in my tracks, coffee steaming as I stare at the boy curled up before me in a couch. His red, puffy, eyes meet mine, slicing my heart in two at his broken state. "Oh, Peter," I whisper, striding over to him. I set my mug on the coffee table, kneeling on the floor in front of him and gently taking his hands in mine.

In a sudden motion, he tugs me upward to him, wrapping his arms around me and burying his face into the crook of my neck. I shift positions so I can sit next to him as he sobs into my shirt. I hush him, softly, as I lightly rub his back, his cries piercing my soul. His body shakes and shivers against mine as he holds me tighter, like I'm the only thing that's real.

The only person keeping him grounded.

I run my hands through his hair a bit, and he presses his head into my shirt even more as his tears continue to flow. "I've got you," I whisper, holding him steady as I feel his body weaken, "I've got you."

We stay like that for a while, Peter clinging to me like his life depends on it as I comfort and reassure him over and over until he finds the strength to pull away. I tilt my head at him as he sniffles, gaze focused on my shoulder. "I ruined your top," he says, voice breaking. I smile at him, sympathetically, "It was old anyway, don't worry about it."

I reach over to the table and carefully pick up my coffee, warmth rushing through me at the touch. I hand it to Peter, and he gladly takes it, closing his eyes as he sips the hot drink. His eyelids remain shut as I lean back a bit, giving him space, but his hand immediately shoots out to grab mine.

I look up to see his heartbroken eyes filled with pain and fear. "Please don't go," he chokes out, and the sound of his voice makes me feel like shedding my own tears, "Please don't leave me."

"I won't," I tell him, and he closes his eyes again, squeezing my hand.

He takes a slow, deep breath, obviously preparing himself for what he's about to say. I stay quiet, silently comforting and giving him the time he needs. His eyes open, and I see them welling up with tears again.

"She broke up with me," he whimpers, his words thick and drowning in tears.

My mouth falls open, slightly, in surprise as he continues. "I told her how I felt, and she just... she said she was sorry, but apparently she'd been meaning to end things a few weeks ago." I blink, continuously, to keep my own eyes dry as his face contorts into pain on so many levels.

"Peter, I'm so sorry," I whisper, and he shakes his head, emotions spilling from his eyes.

"Why does it hurt so much?" he asks, almost inaudibly, and a small sigh escapes my lips.

"Remember when you called me to tell me your true feelings about MJ?" I ask, and he nods, looking directly into my eyes. "Do you remember what you told me? Your exact words." Peter shakes his head at this, and I pause, thinking back to that day.

"You said, 'I think I'm falling in love with her.' And that was when I guess I started to worry. And maybe... maybe you did, too, even if you didn't realize it. Because the thing is, Peter... when you fall, you fall down. And that's when you get hurt. You fell for such a long time, Pete. It hit harder."