Chapter 62

YOUR POV:
~~~~~~~~
"Gimme."

"No."

"Pretty please?"

Peter hesitates as I give him puppy eyes, holding my hands out for the screwdriver. I swipe at it, and he lifts it above his head, "Nope."

"Peter!" I laugh, jumping up and trying to grab it as he steps backwards. I keep reaching for it, moving forward as Peter eventually backs up against a wall, laughing. I stand on my tiptoes as he does as well, keeping the tool out of my reach.

My shirt lifts up as his becomes untucked a little, the skin of our hips brushing as I grab his wrist. My heart skips a beat as I immediately step back, letting go of his wrist as his hand drops to the side. My cheeks flush as Peter's do the same, and he clears his throat, "Um, here."

He tosses the screwdriver to me, and I catch it, almost letting it slip from my grasp. I try to ignore the pounding of my heart in my ears as I turn around, biting my lower lip and walking over to Dum-E. I can feel Peter's gaze on my back as I brush my hair off my shoulder, making my cheeks grow even warmer as I fix the loose joints. I take a few deep breaths to center myself as I turn around, tossing the tool back into its box. I give Peter a small smile, walking over to the door, turning around and looking over my shoulder.

"You gonna just stay there or what?"

He shakes his head, snapping back to reality as he jogs over to me. I hold the door open for him, dramatically bowing as he passes through. "Weirdo."

"Dork."

He nudges me as we walk side-by-side, any previous awkwardness gone. But there's no denying it.

I mean, can anyone blame me, though?

Who comforted me when my boyfriend died? Who hugged me whenever I felt sad about Nat or Tony? Who came to me whenever they just needed a good cry, simply because they trusted me? Who gave me their sweaters multiple times because they were concerned? Who has always supported me throughout anything, even miles apart? Who called me at the earliest hours of the morning to wish me luck when I was halfway across the world?

Is it really that hard to believe that I would catch feelings?

"Hey, you okay?" Peter asks, turning me to face him and testing my forehead with the back of his palm. He takes my face in his hands, feeling my cheeks as my neck slowly grows warmer. "I'm fine, Pete."

He furrows his eyebrows, "Your cheeks are kind of flushed. Did you work out before this?"

"Peter-"

"Are you sick?"

"Pete-"

"Is it your pack?"

"Oh, my god-"

"Do you need to go to the hospital?"

"Good god, Pete, why so dramatic?"

He lets go of my face, rubbing his hands up and down my arms, "I'm just worried. I don't want you feeling unwell."

See?

I smile, taking his hands off my arms and interlacing my fingers with his.

"I'm fine, Peter. You don't need to worry about me, okay?"

He pulls me into a hug, resting his cheek on the top of my head, "How can I not worry?"

Aw.

"... You're my best friend."

Ouch.

My stomach sinks, and I pull away, forcing a smile upon my face, "You know, I think I'm getting a headache. I'll just go lie down for a bit."

I turn around, keeping my eyes trained on the floor.

Blinking back my tears.