Chapter 47

thank you for 3k!!
<><><><><><><>
YOUR POV:
~~~~~~~~
I look past Peter to where Thanos is, my heart pounding. My stomach drops as I see him slide something onto his right hand.

Something with six glowing stones inlaid into it.

I gasp, frantic, as I can't cross the distance fast enough. I stand up, my eyes changing color, and I look around to see one of the dogs looking over at me. I tilt my head in Thanos's direction, and the creature obeys, running with incredible speed and knocking the Titan away from Tony.

I shift and run over to the scene as Thanos throws the alien off of him, standing up and lifting his gloved hand.

"I am inevitable."

He snaps.

I brace myself for the same feeling that happened last time.

It doesn't come.

I become human again, watching from a few yards away as Thanos turns his gauntlet over to reveal a powerless piece of tech. Stomach dropping, I turn to the only person who could have taken them.

Tony holds up his hand, the Infinity Stones joining with his suit. Dread fills me.

"And I... am... Iron Man."

Everything becomes a blur. All I can focus on is him. The stones.

How he won't be able to withstand their power.

I don't watch as the army around me turns to dust. I don't pay attention as my most hated enemy is finally vanquished.

All I can think about is Tony.

They say that before you die, your brain stays alive for seven minutes. And in those seven minutes, you can see every moment in your life. Everything good, everything bad, every mistake made, every happy memory. When your life 'flashes before your eyes', this is what happens.

But it's like our life is flashing before my eyes.

From the day I met Tony to right now, every single memory that contains him, every moment ingrained into my brain comes to me in an instant. The lab experiments, the sneaking food onto plates, the arm-swinging, the piggy-back rides, the suit-building, the Science Squad jokes, the hugs, the silly boyfriend talks, the pillow fights, the loving teasing. The arguments, the lies, the confessions, the resolutions afterwards.

Everything.

The world around me comes into focus to reveal Tony, hiding in a corner. Trying not to be seen. I walk over to him, slowly, and kneel by his side. I take his hand in mine, the sight of him nearly bringing me to tears. I bring his hand up, kissing his knuckles and enveloping his hand in both of mine. My throat clenches as he looks up at me with heartbroken and apologetic eyes.

"(Y/n)."

I smile a bit, blinking quickly. "Yeah. It's me. I'm right here, I'm gonna stay with you."

I don't let go of his hand at all, keeping them together even until Pepper gently pulls Peter away. I tilt my head up and swallow harshly, doing everything I can to keep my tears from falling, failing miserably.

Tony looks up at her, a nearly unnoticeable smile on his face. "Hey, Pep," he whispers, lifting his hand to hold hers, his voice dying away. "Tony," she forces her lips into a smile.

"Kid."

My throat clenches as he calls out for Peter.

"You can rest now," Pepper tells him, kissing his cheek.

He looks back at me once more, the light in his arc reactor dimming.

His hand falls limply to the side, and I lean my head down to rest on his chest, my shoulders shaking uncontrollably.

I cry, the man I loved more than life itself gone, right in front of my eyes.

My guardian. My lighthouse. My role model.

My father.

My everything.