Chapter 69

hehe 69
<><><><>
YOUR POV:
~~~~~~~~
Peter looks at me, his expression conveying no bit of surprise or regret. He shrugs, rubbing his hands up and down my arms, "I do. I have for a while. And it's perfectly all right if you don't feel the same way."

My mouth stays open slightly, words being unable to form themselves. "You probably don't love me back, and that's fine. I just want to make sure that you know exactly how much I love you." His words say one thing, but his eyes reflect only a bit of the opposite. They gleam with hope, obviously wanting me to say the words, but I... can't.

"Peter," I start, my voice a whisper as I shake my head, "I don't-" His face flashes with hurt, but he quickly covers it up. My throat clenches as I continue, "I just... I can't. I'm sorry."

"But why?" His gentle voice is desperate, pleading, his facade from earlier beginning to fade. I shake my head, tears I refuse to let fall pricking my eyes. "Then what is it? Please, (y/n), please let me know."

He isn't pushing it, but the underlying tone of his words moves me. He won't make me tell him, but I just... need to let him know. I'm not sure why.

Maybe it's just an instinct, in order to make me feel safe and secure, to relieve myself of the worry and struggle coursing through me. Or it could be because of my deep trust for him, encouraging me to tell him my troubles and let him help take them away.

"I... haven't had the best luck when it comes to love."

Peter remains silent, the gentle touch of his skin on mine keeping my thoughts clear. "Time and time again, I always seem to lose it. Natasha, Tony, Jackson... every time that I've ever seemed to love someone completely, it always goes downhill. And I just... I don't want to lose you, too." My vision blurs slightly as I look up at him, and he shakes his head, gripping my arms tighter. "You won't lose me, (y/n). I swear."

"You don't know that. I don't know that. What if... what if I lose control? What if I hurt you?"

"You won't."

"What if, one day, you go on a mission and don't come back? I don't know what I would do if you left me, too."

He pulls me against his chest as I hold back my tears, rubbing my back and kissing my head, constantly repeating words of comfort. "Listen. Listen to me. You will not lose me. I am never going to leave you. Not if I can help it. I know it's been hard for you to open up your heart, I do. But (y/n), if you're afraid of losing me, I assure you, that is not going to ever happen. I promise. I swear, I will be with you until the end of the line."

I sniffle, holding him tighter as he tightens his arms around me. "I think started to fall, Peter. For him," I whisper, my voice breaking slightly. "And after everything that's happened to me, I... I don't even know if I've hit yet."

Peter pulls away, leaving a firm yet soft kiss on my forehead.

"Well, you can fall. Because I promise on my life... I will be there to catch you."

And that's all I need.