Chapter 12

⚠️ mentions of suicide & death ⚠️
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
TONY'S POV:
~~~~~~~~
"Hey, uh, Agent Romanoff? A word?" I ask, and she stands up, patting (y/n)'s shoulder and walking with me to the corner of the room. I hand over the sheet of paper with results, and she takes it, tentatively. Her eyes widen and her free hand moves to cover her mouth as she reads it. "Oh, my god," she mutters, looking back up at me. "Is he still...?" I shake my head, and she sighs in relief. "Suicide. He overdosed the night before he was going to be arrested. It was right after her mother..."

"Are you gonna tell her?" I pause, tapping my foot as I think. "Tony, she's nine years old, you probably don't want to drop this on her right now. She's gone through so much already; it's not a good idea." I look at (y/n) across the room, her eyes lighting up as she listens intently to what Bruce is saying. "Let's wait a bit, yeah?" I ask Nat, and she nods, handing the paper back to me.

ONE YEAR LATER/ YOUR POV:
~~~~~~~~
"No, you're staying here. Do. Not. Leave," Tony tells me, sternly, as crashes and explosions sound from outside. "But-" I start, only to be interrupted. "No. I want you safe, (y/n). We'll be fine, just do not attempt to leave." I sigh and nod, hanging my head. Tony crouches down and gives me a quick hug, smiling at me, reassuringly, before walking out of the lab. "JARVIS, put the safety lock on the doors. No one except me is allowed in or out," he says, placing his hand on a scanner at the door. "Yes, sir," JARVIS responds, and Tony walks outside, the doors closing and the sound of multiple locks clicking into place filling the room.

"Hey, JARVIS?" I ask, walking over to a spinny chair and sitting down. "Yes, Miss (y/n)?" I scrunch up my nose. "Just (y/n), please. And can I see what's going on out there?" "Okay, Miss (y/n)." I roll my eyes slightly and spin the chair around to see a hologram. Weird, alien-like creatures are flooding the streets, destroying buildings and hurting people. "Turn it off," I say, closing my eyes to keep tears back. "Can I just see what's going on inside the facility? That way I can let Tony know if anything gets in," I say, hearing the buzz of holograms surrounding me. I open my eyes and spin around, getting a view of every room in the building.

"Sweet."

I keep an eye on each room, focusing intently on one where Tony is. He's at the bar, offering some dude... a drink? Why is he making small talk with the enemy? I squint my eyes as I watch them, slowly filling with fear when Tony is pressed against the window. I gasp as the man pushes him, the glass breaking. "No!"

I jump out of my seat and place my hands on the table projecting the holograms. "JARVIS," I start, but the AI already knows what I'm about to command. "Calling Mr. Stark." "Please let him have his suit, please let him have his suit," I mutter, dread filling me. I pace as the sinking feeling in my stomach worsens, and a weird sensation passes through my eyes. 'What the...?' "Kid, is anything wrong?"

The feeling goes away as Tony's voice comes through the speakers. "Yeah, I'm fine. I was worried after you were pushed out that window." He chuckles slightly.

Typical.

"Don't worry, kid. I'm okay."